What's new

Custom Router Box hardware freeze issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maverick009

I was not sure what name to give the headline. I am currently running into an issue with my network. I built and upgraded my hardware (from one consumer platform to another) to an Asus B550M Tuf WiFi Plus motherboard, Ryzen 1700 8C/16T CPU, and 16GB DDR4-3200Mhz memory downclocked currently to 1866Mhz. Installed Opnsense 23.7.1_3 on a SATA SSD. The NICS are now an Intel X540 Dual 10G card and an Intel i350-T4 Quad 1G NIC card. The board also has a Realtek 8125 powered 2.5G NIC that is now not being used. The problem I am experiencing seems to be random as the Network will work perfectly and at some point, go completely down to the point that I cannot access the router remotely and have to do a hard reset to gain access again. It does not happen at all times either. I have been banging my tech brain on this one and cannot seem to find a resolution. Now a search online looking at that Asus board seems to show there may have been earlier issues with it including the system freezing at Idle periods, and I am wondering if I may be seeing that even after an update to the latest Bios.

I have ruled out just about everything else and ready to purchase a replacement board that has enough similar features to do a swap and see if that works but reaching out to the community to see if anyone else has experienced similar issues either with that board or similar hardware/OS. With that said, I did recently install the Intel X540-T2 10G card and have the cable modem connected to one of the ports and the other connections going off the I350-T4 card and after the initial hickup since the installation, I have not run into the freeze or any issues. I am not sure if that was due to the Realtek onboard card or the dual Realtek 8125 2.5G card I pulled out of the firewall server. If it has no issues for the next couple of weeks I will update the post, but just trying to get ahead of it and maybe someone else has a good suggestion.....Also I know I am using consumer parts for the board/processor, but it was budget friendly and if done correctly should not have this kind of issue creeping up. I am also thinking the Asus B550 board may be the issue if it happens again as it was an Openbox board I picked up on impulse buy and missing everything. Just wrapped in bubble wrap lol. At least I bought a 2yr warranty with Microcenter due to everything missing and was not sure....

Update: I have removed a Dual Realtek 8125b 2.5G NIC and installed an X540-T2 NIC with the cable modem connected directly to one of the 10G ports. So far no freezing but I am seeing some errors on the "in" of the WAN interface. I will need to keep an eye on it but this may be easier to resolve now. The Realtek card looks like the metal around one of the connectors was damaged and may of been shorting out the system. Will continue to monitor, but seems to be progress.

Update#2: It finally happened today. Was watching a video on Youtube and internet went down. I unfortunately don't have time today to look at it, and will take a look by this weekend. I also checked the log and I think I may of found part of the issue as I saw this in the logs -usr/local/etc/rc.newwanipv6: The command '/usr/sbin/daemon -f -p '/var/run/updaterrd.pid' '/var/db/rrd/updaterrd.sh'' returned exit code '3', the output was 'daemon: process already running, pid: 28960'. Looks like something to do with IPV6? Just a crazy pain in the butt situation.

Update#3: Well for a fast and simple solution, I purchased a new board and just for the sake of making sure was not a compatibility error, I also purchased a new CPU. My updated Opnsense box is now running an AMD Ryzen 5700G (Great price on Amazon for $177) paired with an Asrock B550M Steel Legend Motherboard. I do prefer the overall Bios and some additional features on the Asus B550M Tuf, but if I figure out it was board related, I do have a warranty from Microcenter on it since it was openbox and missing all other hardware. I will use it most likely for another project. I also took the time to get a 512GB M.2 NVMe 3D Nand SSD (it was only $22) to move the OS too. So far the updated router seems to be working and I definitely have not had any freezing even after saturating bandwidth. I am monitoring some Error In faults on the WAN and LAN connected to the X540-T2 card. I think it all stopped after hard resets to all switches and the modem. Progress made, even if a tad expensive one, but I need a stable network as I do work from home on occasion and kids have school projects.

Last edited:
I run my own setup as well but I opted to use Ubuntu instead of any specific router overlay.

RTL ports can soe times be an issue. On one board I had to blacklist the driver it was trying to use I order for it to pick up the working one instead.
I never had any issues with the T4 cards I used initially but upgraded to a qnap quad 5ge card to max out my storage bandwidth. It's aquantia based but have had few issues with it. Usually it's RC kernels missing the modules and just rollback and works fine.

It could just be a quirk with the os halting the network stack for some reason but without looking at the logs you won't know for sure.

Asus B550M Tuf WiFi Plus motherboard, Ryzen 1700 8C/16T CPU, and 16GB DDR4-3200Mhz memory downclocked currently to 1866Mhz. Installed Opnsense 23.7.1_3 on a SATA SSD.

Checking various forums...

There is/was an issue with FreeBSD and Ryzen C6 handling...

It was a BIOS/UEFI setting, I changed AMD CBS > Zen Common Options > Power Supply Idle Control set to "Typical current idle" (instead of auto).

I was not sure what name to give the headline. I am currently running into an issue with my network. I built and upgraded my hardware (from one consumer platform to another) to an Asus B550M Tuf WiFi Plus motherboard, Ryzen 1700 8C/16T CPU, and 16GB DDR4-3200Mhz memory downclocked currently to 1866Mhz. Installed Opnsense 23.7.1_3 on a SATA SSD. The NICS are now an Intel X540 Dual 10G card and an Intel i350-T4 Quad 1G NIC card. The board also has a Realtek 8125 powered 2.5G NIC that is now not being used. The problem I am experiencing seems to be random as the Network will work perfectly and at some point, go completely down to the point that I cannot access the router remotely and have to do a hard reset to gain access again. It does not happen at all times either. I have been banging my tech brain on this one and cannot seem to find a resolution. Now a search online looking at that Asus board seems to show there may have been earlier issues with it including the system freezing at Idle periods, and I am wondering if I may be seeing that even after an update to the latest Bios.

I have ruled out just about everything else and ready to purchase a replacement board that has enough similar features to do a swap and see if that works but reaching out to the community to see if anyone else has experienced similar issues either with that board or similar hardware/OS. With that said, I did recently install the Intel X540-T2 10G card and have the cable modem connected to one of the ports and the other connections going off the I350-T4 card and after the initial hickup since the installation, I have not run into the freeze or any issues. I am not sure if that was due to the Realtek onboard card or the dual Realtek 8125 2.5G card I pulled out of the firewall server. If it has no issues for the next couple of weeks I will update the post, but just trying to get ahead of it and maybe someone else has a good suggestion.....Also I know I am using consumer parts for the board/processor, but it was budget friendly and if done correctly should not have this kind of issue creeping up. I am also thinking the Asus B550 board may be the issue if it happens again as it was an Openbox board I picked up on impulse buy and missing everything. Just wrapped in bubble wrap lol. At least I bought a 2yr warranty with Microcenter due to everything missing and was not sure....
I have some TUF GAMING B550 and B550M Series including TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (WI-FI) and TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI).
Just try it. I'm not sure it works or not for you.

Clue 1:
memory downclocked
It can be the problem under certain conditions like Undervolting a CPU, Changing Memory Voltage. This is well known issue. So many overclockers know about this issue very well. This is not only for ASUS but also other brands.
Solution(ASUS menu): Power Supply Idle Control > Configuration options > Typical Current Idle.
The problem is not only for Linux but also Windows.

Clue 2:
Realtek onboard card
Intel 2.5GB and Realtek 2.5GB have a lot of issues. New chips are same. So I recommend someone who wants more than 1GB speed buy 10GB NIC instead of 2.5GB. 2.5GB chipsets are failed chipsets.

Clue 3:
1. OS setting issue.
2. NIC setting issue.
3. Something else.

Last edited:

have you tried clear CMOS and install ethernet driver from Asus website instead of using windows installed driver.

Checking various forums...

There is/was an issue with FreeBSD and Ryzen C6 handling...

It was a BIOS/UEFI setting, I changed AMD CBS > Zen Common Options > Power Supply Idle Control set to "Typical current idle" (instead of auto).
I may need to check that. It was probably the one setting I did not think to check. Right now the Firewall server is still up after adding the X540-T2 card and removing the realtek card so it may of been a faulty card too as no crash yet. I am seeing a few in errors on the WAN so I will continue to keep an eye on it. If crashes or by next maintenance schedule, I may make a few more tweaks.

I run my own setup as well but I opted to use Ubuntu instead of any specific router overlay.

RTL ports can soe times be an issue. On one board I had to blacklist the driver it was trying to use I order for it to pick up the working one instead.
I never had any issues with the T4 cards I used initially but upgraded to a qnap quad 5ge card to max out my storage bandwidth. It's aquantia based but have had few issues with it. Usually it's RC kernels missing the modules and just rollback and works fine.

It could just be a quirk with the os halting the network stack for some reason but without looking at the logs you won't know for sure.
As good as that may sound, Ubuntu can be flexible, but also have its own issues and slightly more complications due to not being a router/firewall specific built OS.

I have some TUF GAMING B550 and B550M Series including TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (WI-FI) and TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI).
Just try it. I'm not sure it works or not for you.

Clue 1:

It can be the problem under certain conditions like Undervolting a CPU, Changing Memory Voltage. This is well known issue. So many overclockers know about this issue very well. This is not only for ASUS but also other brands.
Solution(ASUS menu): Power Supply Idle Control > Configuration options > Typical Current Idle.
The problem is not only for Linux but also Windows.

Clue 2:

Intel 2.5GB and Realtek 2.5GB have a lot of issues. New chips are same. So I recommend someone who wants more than 1GB speed buy 10GB NIC instead of 2.5GB. 2.5GB chipsets are failed chipsets.

Clue 3:
1. OS setting issue.
2. NIC setting issue.
3. Something else.
Since this is not purpose built for gaming, the memory is downclocked. Also can confirm definitely not OS misconfig as I ruled that out early. The Firewall not only has an I350-T4 Quad 1Gb NIC and X540-T2 Dual 10G card. The sole 2.5G Realtek onboard NIC is not being used. Since adding the X540-T2 NIC and removing a Realtek 8125b Dual 2.5G NIC, the system has not frozen, so it may of been a bad NIC. I am however seeing a few Errors on the "in" side of the WAN so still monitoring. The system not freezing will be a plus and the errors on the in side will be easier to try and resolve IMO.

have you tried clear CMOS and install ethernet driver from Asus website instead of using windows installed driver.
I am not using Windows on this board. It was purchased as an openbox at a low price and I placed an Ryzen 1700 CPU in it. OpnSense is the OS installed as it is my Firewall router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!