What's new

Computers getting router as ipv6 DNS server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

icsy7687

Occasional Visitor
I am pretty sure I have my settings correct:

IPV6 is enabled
Connect to DNS Server automatically: Disabled
(All 3 DNS fields are then blank)
Enable Router Advertisement: Enabled

Works fine most of the time, but occasionally,the ipv6 DNS seems to take over on certain clients and I can no longer use my internal DNS for my local services.

To fix this, on machines that use the other services a lot, I simply remove the "Obtain DNS Automatically" on my windows boxes. Otherwise rebooting the systems seem to fix this for quite some time. Even when it is working, an ipconfig /all reveals the routers IPV6 listed as a DNS server. Any idea on how to permanently stop this?

I created the script and followed the instructions. So far so good! Thanks for this, great find. I do need to become more familiar with DNSMASQ :D

Just as an FYI for my 374.43 LTS fork users.....this is built in to the gui.
Would that be the "Advertise router as IPv6 DNS server" option?

If so the default seems to be No, which presumably means no local name resolution for IPv6 clients? Or does it not work like IPv4. Still can't quite get my head around IPv6.

Would that be the "Advertise router as IPv6 DNS server" option?

Yes, that's the one.

Hmmm....the default should be yes (I checked and it is defaulted to yes).

With that option set to yes, I actually push the routers link local IPv6 address as a separate name server to the clients in addition to the IPv4 option (usually the router). The IPv6 entered name servers are added to dnsmasq to be used. If you set it to No, the entered IPv6 name servers are pushed to the clients.

EDIT: Note that all name servers will provide both IPv6 and IPv4 answers, that is a name server accessed with IPv4 will also return IPv6 AAAA records and IPv6 name server will also provide IPv4 A records.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!