What's new

Concept of a Management VLAN or netowrk?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

trek_520

Regular Contributor
Can someone explain to me how/when this used? I keep seeing the term management port thrown around is that a port being referred to in a VLAN?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the spelling error in the title - can't seem to edit it.

Last edited:
a management vlan is essentially just any other vlan. The only difference is that what the vlan is used for so quite often this vlan configured differently (just like with any vlan) such as being isolated and has no internet access and usually only valid between 2 devices or 2 interfaces, which are the device and the admin team.

Can someone explain to me how/when this used? I keep seeing the term management port thrown around is that a port being referred to in a VLAN?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the spelling error in the title - can't seem to edit it.

One perspective of a management VLAN is when you have a server/group of servers that are delivering traffic in/out - the management VLAN can be put into place to control those applications outside of production traffic

Another application for a management VLAN is HW management of the server or router- or for what some companies refer to as Integrated Lights Out (ILO) management of the server hardware itself. Many of these use API's like IPMI (Intelligent Platform Management Interface) where there's an Agent on the primary server that talks to a dedicated microprocessor on the server HW itself - for reporting/statistics, and in some cases remote Keyboard/Video/Mouse activity).

It's a good question - perhaps outside of the scope of SNB, but this is a good purpose for dedicated VLAN for management.