What's new

Connecting a device to a specific VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

huotg01

I have a Samsung Smart TV Hub ( BD-FM59C) that I use to access Netflix (not specifically but...) and feed my TV.

In order to access the US or British library, I have to use an IP address from the targeted country.

What is the best setup to do this with Asus-Merlin without redirecting all the router traffic to the VPN (strictly the Hub traffic)?

The hub can be wired or wireless.

Thanks,

GH
ps: I know this tutorial (https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-me...or-VPN-and-SSID-for-Regular-ISP-using-OpenVPN.) but would like to know if it is still the best way to achieve my goal and also I would like to know how to do it using a wired connection.
ps2: I have a StrongVPN account

Last edited:
Hi GH,

I have a similar setup you but managing all the routes became a nightmare with the way edgecfs and Akamai streaming servers are used by BBC etc

I can highly recommend HideIPVPNs new SmartDNS service - which basically means I no longer need to do manual VPN routing. I just use their DNS servers instead of ISP ones and everything just works (in my case)

Info here but feel free to PM if you have any implementation specific questions. (I don't work for them, I am just a happy customer)

http://www.hideipvpn.com/smart-dns/

...I can highly recommend HideIPVPNs new SmartDNS service - which basically means I no longer need to do manual VPN routing. I just use their DNS servers instead of ISP ones and everything just works (in my case)

Thanks

I was not aware about SmartDNS. It looks very interesting. Seems similar to UnoDNS from http://www.unotelly.com/unodns

In your opinion, is one better than the other ?

GH

When sufficient, a DNS-based solution will always be far more efficient, especially when streaming is involved.

When sufficient, a DNS-based solution will always be far more efficient, especially when streaming is involved.

I'm testing with UnoDNS because they have a DNS server in Montreal. The loop time difference when pinging Videotron (my ISP) and UnoDNS Montreal server is about most of the times 2 ms.

Do you see any negative effects to "permanently" setup UnoDNS directly on the router ?

Thanks,

GH

I personally prefer the SmartDns service over undoDNS because I used services in the UK and from what I see undoDNS seems to be US services only.

No problems- I have had the hideipvpn servers as my primary and secondary DNS servers on the 66U w/Merlin for around a month now. No ill effects (degradation in services, same fast lookups etc) - to be honest I'm immediately suspicious of any service that does what is says it will and doesnt have any downsides, but so far so good.

... to be honest I'm immediately suspicious of any service that does what is says it will and doesn't have any downsides, but so far so good.
:):):)

Samething...;)

From what I learned after reading about smart dns (generically meaning), better to choose the provider that has a dns server very close to your devices.

In my case, I'm in Montreal and UNO has a server in Montreal.

Now my problem is about changing dynamically the country on my BD-FM59C (to install applications from other countries without resetting the device). This is the new F serie and the trick used for previous series doesn't work. Anyway, this is a question of time, and this situation doesn't prevent me from switching to Canadian, US or UK Netflix.

Thanks.

Do you see any negative effects to "permanently" setup UnoDNS directly on the router ?

Using a third party DNS might mean a drop in performance on various CDNs such as Akamai, or streaming services such as Youtube. For instance, Youtube has caching servers hosted by various ISPs (dunno about Vidéotron but Teksavvy does), so streaming from your ISP's cache will usually give you better streaming performance.

Try streaming from Youtube - check which servers you are streaming from while using VL's DNS, then after a reboot try again using your third party DNS. Doing a "netstat" while streaming will show you which server is feeding you. You can then try a traceroute to that server to see where they are located network-wise.

VPN Advantages

I'm testing with UnoDNS because they have a DNS server in Montreal. The loop time difference when pinging Videotron (my ISP) and UnoDNS Montreal server is about most of the times 2 ms.

Thanks,

GH

The main disadvantage I can see in using a DNS service only vs using a VPN is that you are paying the same amount, but not getting the advantage of securely encrypting your Internet traffic. With the past week's disclosures and headlines I want to do what I can to protect my privacy.

With the dual gateway router setup I have coupled with my VPN accelerator I get 95% of my throughput when streaming and my other Internet browsing and e-mail is better protected.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!