What's new

D-link DIR-890L vs Asus RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fapman

New Around Here
So im on a fence of buying ether one of those routers.

I like the look of the D-link DIR-890L (Its going to sit on my living room, under my tv)

RT-AC88U is more powerfull (how much?)

D-Link is 150€ cheaper.

I'm living on small apartment, and mainly considered of the D-link "oldish" procesor. Is it going to be powerfull enough for 100/100 connection. (Via wired connection). And is there any performance increase on the ASUS when running wired connection?

MU-Mimo i don't need, i dont have anything that supports mu-mimo atm

The choice is clear, the AC88U is superior in every way whereas D-link doesnt really have much hope. If the hardware is fine than using 3rd party firmware like openwrt or tomato with dlink helps. With stock firmware D-link is terrible and both tp-link and d-link have many hardware revisions that its not easy to get a stable piece of hardware with them.

For a 100/100 you need 200Mb/s of NAT forwarding. With hardware acceleration even the old MIPS based routers will keep up. If its dual core ARM A9 it will keep up using software NAT so whether you use software/hardware NAT depends on your needs like QoS.

Is the asus really worth it for almost double the money(?)

I use NAT for sure. QoS is something i don't need and not going to use.

The direct Asus equivalent to the DIR-890L is the RT-AC3200U.

The RT-AC88U is one generation newer, and only has one 5 GHz radio

If you don't need the dual 5 GHz radios, then look at the RT-AC68U.

This is what i think, the Tri-band on the D-link is quite nice to have on that pricepoint.

the 890L performed very well in terms of coverage and throughput when compared to the other 1900ac class routers i have tested

the issue i found where the 2,4 gig did not have the ability to disable obss co existance and thus the 2.4 gig was stuck in 20mhz mode so 2.4 gig clients only connected at single stream rates

its new gui is quite basic and too basic for hard core users but it does have enough to keep it secure and well set up

as suggested the 890L is a tri band 3200ac class router

which means its got

1 x 2.4 gig 600m

1 x 5 gig 1300M

plus

1 x 5 gig 1300M

you can only use 1 of the above to connect to at any one time per client

so unless you have many and varied 5 gig clients and quite a few of the wireless AC i see no reason to buy a tri band router in the first place and you may as well look at the

dlink dir-88oL

with its

1 x 2.4 gig 600M

1 x 5 gig 1300M

again you can only connect to one of these at a time from any single client

so look at 1900ac class routers as you will get exactly the same results at a cheaper price

see

asus rt-ac68u

netgear r7000

dlink dir-880l

tp link archer c9

linksys wrt 1900acs

---------------------

(Its going to sit on my living room, under my tv

and almost the worst place you could have it

needs to be higher and away from electronics

--------------------------------

with regard to the asus rt-ac88u

unless you have a nas or server with link bonding and you have another asus rt-ac88u or rt-ac5300 to use in media bridge mode you will not get any extra benefit with the rt-ac88u at this time with your current clients wireless adapters over a 1900 ac class router anyway

the 890L performed very well in terms of coverage and throughput when compared to the other 1900ac class routers i have tested

the issue i found where the 2,4 gig did not have the ability to disable obss co existance and thus the 2.4 gig was stuck in 20mhz mode so 2.4 gig clients only connected at single stream rates

its new gui is quite basic and too basic for hard core users but it does have enough to keep it secure and well set up

as suggested the 890L is a tri band 3200ac class router

which means its got

1 x 2.4 gig 600m

1 x 5 gig 1300M

plus

1 x 5 gig 1300M

you can only use 1 of the above to connect to at any one time per client

so unless you have many and varied 5 gig clients and quite a few of the wireless AC i see no reason to buy a tri band router in the first place and you may as well look at the

dlink dir-88oL

with its

1 x 2.4 gig 600M

1 x 5 gig 1300M

again you can only connect to one of these at a time from any single client

so look at 1900ac class routers as you will get exactly the same results at a cheaper price

see

asus rt-ac68u

netgear r7000

dlink dir-880l

tp link archer c9

linksys wrt 1900acs

---------------------

and almost the worst place you could have it

needs to be higher and away from electronics

--------------------------------

with regard to the asus rt-ac88u

unless you have a nas or server with link bonding and you have another asus rt-ac88u or rt-ac5300 to use in media bridge mode you will not get any extra benefit with the rt-ac88u at this time with your current clients wireless adapters over a 1900 ac class router anyway

Thank you for your long answer!

Literally the only device on 2.4ghz - band is my chromecast, and maybe planning to upgrade it to 5ghz with my new smart-tv upgrade in later this year.

The only place to the router is close to my TV-shelf, another place would be middle of the living-room in the all-ready empty class-table. (My other half would not give recommendation for this.)

In the EU difference in price 880L vs 890L isin't that much. And i'm getting tri-band for the money + (to me) beautiful look

whats the price difference between the 890L and the asus rt-ac3200 as the ascetics of the 890L makes you smile the function and features of the rt-ac3200 make it worth looking at if budget isnt that much of an issue

whats the price difference between the 890L and the asus rt-ac3200 as the ascetics of the 890L makes you smile the function and features of the rt-ac3200 make it worth looking at if budget isnt that much of an issue

The price difference is 50€. (D-link is cheaper)

RT-AC3200 and D-link are pretty much on par with performance wise. (?)

RT-AC3200 and D-link are pretty much on par with performance wise. (?)

they are the same class 3200ac

see

coverage wise the are around the same

but the gui and feature set and flexibility of the asus set it apart and prob make it worth the extra cost if you want any control and or features like open vpn bandwidth monitoring and bandwidth limiting etc etc

if however you dont care about anything but wifi coverage and pretty much plug and play then the d link 890L is prob just as good

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!