What's new

dd-wrt router and 3g non-usb modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dskimmd66

New Around Here
I have a netgear R7000 that I installed dd-wrt on so that I can have my entire wireless network on express vpn. I live in Africa but while in the States I successfully set up open vpn. But now I am in Africa and my modem is a 3g Orange Flybox. It has Lan ports and no usb. I can't get my dd-wrt wireless network to work. I called Orange and they said a router won't work with their 3g modem. Can anyone tell me what settings I need to change to get it to work?
Thanks!

I suggest using openwrt since it works better and openwrt has a very clear methodology for their usb workings. In order for the router to work with an ISP it must support the type of authentication used by it assuming the modem is in bridge mode. In openwrt all it requires is to download the library with the authentication that your ISP uses. I dont get why dd-wrt is given more spotlight when openwrt is much better and actually open sourced.

I suggest using openwrt since it works better and openwrt has a very clear methodology for their usb workings. In order for the router to work with an ISP it must support the type of authentication used by it assuming the modem is in bridge mode. In openwrt all it requires is to download the library with the authentication that your ISP uses. I dont get why dd-wrt is given more spotlight when openwrt is much better and actually open sourced.

First of all, the OP mentioned that his new modem has lan ports. Moreover he was talking about the R7000 which is not supported by openwrt. Thus your suggestion is complete BS.

If the modem has lan ports then it is probably working as a router by default and thus it should be as simple as choosing dhcp as wan connection and plugin the wan port of the R7000 to the lan port of the modem.

P.S. Openwrts user interface is by far the worst UI of all router firmwares I have seen, that is probably the reason why the majority of users wants something like dd-wrt or tomato.

I plugged my router into one of the lan ports and I can see the wireless dd-wrt network but it is not connected to the internet. I am using dhcp.

does the R7000 itself have internet? If it does it means you need to set up the NAT firewall.

openwrt user interface may be messy but their codes and libraries are neater. tomato is also a nice firmware too and may be more appropriate if the OP doesnt have the skill to configure dd-wrt.

I plugged my router into one of the lan ports and I can see the wireless dd-wrt network but it is not connected to the internet. I am using dhcp.

Does the dd-wrt webif display a wan ip?

How do you access the internet with your pc if you don't use the router. I mean the isp must have given you details on how to access the internet when using their modem?

Thank you for your replies. The 3g modem is also a router. I can't access the internet with the r7000 itself. I access the internet through the 3g modem/router. It does have 4 lan ports.

I have a wan IP: 192.168.1.102
Under status it says Wan domain name : flybox.orange

Sounds like the 3g modem is performing NAT. Change the modem into bridge mode, have the router do the connection and NAT and if you have limited bandwidth than set the router to disconnect on idle.

Its also possible that your ISP is preventing tethering by blocking devices behind a NAT.

Thank you for your replies. The 3g modem is also a router. I can't access the internet with the r7000 itself. I access the internet through the 3g modem/router. It does have 4 lan ports.

I have a wan IP: 192.168.1.102
Under status it says Wan domain name : flybox.orange

Well the problem is the following, your modems IP range is 192.168.1.x the same as the default internal ip range of dd-wrt:)

Now on your router wan ip is 192.168.1.x and internal is also 192.168.1.x this cannot work.

All you have to do is-> go to Setup->Basic Setup-> and change the local IP from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1.
In case you have attached computers to the router and you configured static ips in 192.168.1.x range you have to change them of course. But computers that use dhcp should be online shortly after you changed the routers local ip.

You could also setup the router to work in AP mode without NAT or you could possible disable routing etc. on the isp modem. But my first suggestion is the easiest for your:)