What's new

Devices Connecting to 192.168.0.xxx instead of 192.168.1.xxx

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

doggyofone

Occasional Visitor
This happens with wireless and wired devices. I wasn't sure where to place this post so I started in this one.
I have a very strange thing happening with my SSID's and router connections. I have an amazon firecube connected to an Asus RT-AC87U and the router is connected to a Hitron CODA 4582U in residential gateway mode. I generally connect to a VPN app.

1- When I setup wifi with the Firecube I am shown a list of my available SSID's:
  • I am watching u and I am watching u_5g. These are setup on the Asus router with the latest Merlin software in the dhcp settings.
  • I also see I am watching U and I am watching U_5g (both with capital U) which are not setup in the router or modem. They are probably older versions of my SSID's, but which I no longer used.
I am not sure why I see these older ssid's. I set up the Hitron from day 1 as a modem only and disabled the router. The ssid's on the Hitron are the same as what's on the asus router and the modem shows no device connections. The Hitron appears to be properly setup as a gateway.

2- Secondly, when I connect I am seeing an even more curious thing. The IP address for the ssid gets set to an IP that has a "0" instead of a "1" in the address - ie: 192.168.0.1. It doesn't matter which ssid that I connect with, I still get the "0". The VPN does not change this, although my external IP is through the vpn. This doesn't seem to happen with other devices I connect.
I am not sure why this is happening. The "0" IP might indicate connection through the Hitron modem, but why do other devices not connect to the "0" address.
I would appreciate some help with this and possible solutions. I'm guessing a reset is in order, but hard or soft I'm not sure.
Thank you.

Last edited:
You seems to able to access the configuration pages of both your RT-AC87U router and the Hitron CODA 4582U modem/router, why not check their configurations?
Other wise:
  1. Power down the RT-AC87U router and the Hitron CODA 4582U modem/router.
  2. Power up only the RT-AC87U router.
  3. Check what ssid's are available and what IP address a connected client gets.
  4. Power down the RT-AC87U router.
  5. Power up only the Hitron CODA 4582U modem/router.
  6. Check what ssid's are available and what IP address a connected client gets.
192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x doesn't really matter, it all depend on how the configurations of the RT-AC87U router and the Hitron CODA 4582U modem/router are.

You seems to able to access the configuration pages of both your RT-AC87U router and the Hitron CODA 4582U modem/router, why not check their configurations?
Other wise:
  1. Power down the RT-AC87U router and the Hitron CODA 4582U modem/router.
  2. Power up only the RT-AC87U router.
  3. Check what ssid's are available and what IP address a connected client gets.
  4. Power down the RT-AC87U router.
  5. Power up only the Hitron CODA 4582U modem/router.
  6. Check what ssid's are available and what IP address a connected client gets.
192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x doesn't really matter, it all depend on how the configurations of the RT-AC87U router and the Hitron CODA 4582U modem/router are.

I will try this, but I looked at the Hitron's settings and the ssid's are set the same as the router, without the capital "U" and no devices show connected.

Thanks for that advice.
OK, modem down, router running - no available ssid.
Router down, modem up - the two ssid's (router and modem) without the capital "U" are available and I was able to connect to the internet both 2.4 and 5_g via wireless.
I have no idea how long this has been happening and what to do about it. The modem definitely show gateway was on, no devices connected and the ssid's as "u" - not capitalized.
I don't see the capital "U" ssid's yet.
What would next steps be?

Try unplugging it and seeing if the rogue SSIDs disappear.
I unplugged the ap modem, the capital U ssid's still appear, but both ask for a password when I click on it. It didn't do this before before.
The device is currently connected to the non-capital 2.4 and was connected to the 5.0, both to a "0" ip address

I restarted the Firecube and it connected to the "u_5g" and 192.168.0.16. The "U" devices ask for a password.

Then temporarily turn off the Hitron and see if that causes the SSIDs to disappear.

What LAN IP range do you have configured on your Asus?

Then temporarily turn off the Hitron and see if that causes the SSIDs to disappear.

What LAN IP range do you have configured on your Asus?
192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254

OK I rebooted the Hitron, then rebooted the Firecube. The small u devices connect, but to a "0" IP. The capital U devices ask for a password

It sounds like you need to do a full reset on all your network equipment. Including new SSID's?

Seems like past code remnants (in both the network gear and the client devices) are giving you a little bit of a wild goose chase for an otherwise straightforward process.

It sounds like you need to do a full reset on all your network equipment. Including new SSID's?

Seems like past code remnants (in both the network gear and the client devices) are giving you a little bit of a wild goose chase for an otherwise straightforward process.

So a 30-30-30 hard reset, or is there a different procedure?

On an Asus router, there is no 30-30-30 reset.

You may want to follow the guide in my signature below for the M&M Config (and possibly the Nuclear Reset too).

This just keeps getting stranger. I shut down the Hitron. I rebooted the Firecube, I checked available devices and both capital U devices showed as available. I put the password into one of them, then rebooted the Hitron. When the Hitron finished booting the Firecube connected to the U ssid I put the password into with a "1" IP address. I disconnected the U ssid then connected to the U_5g ssid and got a "1" ip address.
So I then disconnected and connected to a non capital u ssid and got a "0" ip and then the u_5g and got a "0" IP.
I went back to the capital U ssid's and both connected to a "1" ip address.
I don't get it.

This just keeps getting stranger. I shut down the Hitron. I rebooted the Firecube, I checked available devices and both capital U devices showed as available. I put the password into one of them, then rebooted the Hitron. When the Hitron finished booting the Firecube connected to the U ssid I put the password into with a "1" IP address. I disconnected the U ssid then connected to the U_5g ssid and got a "1" ip address.
So I then disconnected and connected to a non capital u ssid and got a "0" ip and then the u_5g and got a "0" IP.
I went back to the capital U ssid's and both connected to a "1" ip address.
I don't get it.
So when you turned off the Hitron did the non capital u ssid's disappear? That would explain why you're getting a 192.168.0.x address from them.

So when you turned off the Hitron did the non capital u ssid's disappear? That would explain why you're getting a 192.168.0.x address from them.

Yes. I don't believe the repeater is involved in this. I'll find an opportunity to do a hard reset soon and get rid of the ghost ssid's. Thanks for all your help with this.

So that means that the non capital u ssid's belong to the Hitron and the Hitron is running a DHCP server for subnet 192.168.0.x. So you need to fix the Hitron.

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/bridgemode-coda4582

Maybe you need to disable its WiFi before turning off the Residential Gateway Function.

Last edited:
I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. If I switch the gateway off then am I will be using the Rogers router functions instead of the Asus. Is this what you are suggesting?
Or switch off the gateway, then the wifi on the Hitron and then enable the gateway?

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!