What's new

Different versions of Linksys WRT1200AC ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Blexley

Regular Contributor
While searching Google for a cheap Router with fast read/write USB speeds the WRT1200AC keeps being mentioned followed by tons of complaints that there are Different versions but nobody seems to know what the difference is?

Apparently Linksys claims they are all the same but as someone pointed out they are not the same as each revision uses different Firmware ??

Anyone know what the difference is and does it matter which one you buy?

Thanks

To the best of my knowledge - there's only the single version of the WRT1200AC...

WRT1900ac has two versions, along with the ACS v1/V2...

Linksys WRT1200AC AC1200 Dual-Band Smart Wi-Fi Wireless Router Frequently Asked Questions

http://www.linksys.com/gb/support-article?articleNum=156187

What is the difference between the Linksys WRT1200AC v1 and Linksys WRT1200AC v2?

There is no difference in features and specifications. The Linksys WRT1200AC v2 is the same as Linksys WRT1200AC v1, only they use different firmware versions. Also, you cannot use the firmware for Linksys WRT1200AC v2 with Linksys WRT1200AC v1 or vice versa

Can I use the firmware for Linksys WRT1200AC v1 with Linksys WRT1200AC v2 or vice versa?

No. The firmware for Linksys WRT1200AC v1 is NOT compatible with Linksys WRT1200AC v2 or vice versa. Check the label to know the product’s version. If it shows WRT1200AC v2, use the v2 firmware. If the label just shows WRT1200AC, use the v1 firmware.

Gah - so the mess continues with the WRT1200 as well then... keeping track of the WRT1900 lineup has been a challenge, as there are mid-cycle production changes (some V2's are really V2's, some V2's are ACS before ACS was launched...)

At a glance perhaps...

WRT1200ACv1 is similar to WRT1900ACv2 (just two radio chains depopulated)
WRT1200ACv2 might be similar to WRT1900ACSv1 (or ACSv2 maybe)

Who knows these days... I suppose as long as factory firmware is used, it really doesn't matter - but the differences might be significant when working with DDWRT/OpenWRT, as delta's in HW can have impact.