What's new

DIR 601 or DIR 615 as Access Point ... or a bigger antenna?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vnangia

Hi folks,

I currently have a DIR-655 that's serving as the main router for the house. It is set up to do a 2.4GHz G/N network, serving two N-capable laptops, an N-capable iPad, and a half-dozen G-capable smaller devices (phones, Squeezebox, etc).

The iPad has a number of problems with a G/N mixed network, and it doesn't look like Apple is interested in fixing the problem; at least, not anytime soon. For me, it manifests as an inability to hold marginal network signals.

I can either (a) replace some of the antennas; or, (b) buy an additional "access point". For the latter I'm thinking of an inexpensive D-Link such as the DIR-601 or the DIR-615.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

IMO: don't use D-Link.
Linksys, Buffalo Tech, Belkin have few lemons; not so D-Link and Netgear. Not to say that those two don't sometimes have a good product model.

Range is all about
Antenna location
Walls/floors in the path

You are speaking about antennas... is weak signal the issue? If not, then have you tried running the Wireless Router in G-only mode?

Apple, it seems, does not test or design for interoperability with non-Apple products. It's hit-and-miss.

Client problems with holding onto "marginal" wireless signals is part of the joys of wireless.

I'd add an additional access point, connected via Ethernet. Most anything would do, but I would not recommend any "N 150" products. If you have an old G router around, just convert it to an AP.

Linksys, Buffalo Tech, Belkin have few lemons; not so D-Link and Netgear. Not to say that those two don't sometimes have a good product model.

Range is all about
Antenna location
Walls/floors in the path

You are speaking about antennas... is weak signal the issue? If not, then have you tried running the Wireless Router in G-only mode?

Apple, it seems, does not test or design for interoperability with non-Apple products. It's hit-and-miss.

Interesting - I've never (yet) had an issue with a D-Link router, whilst the Belkin I used in college lasted about three months and my folks are on their eleventh Linksys replacement unit in three years; when the warranty runs out in the next few weeks, the next failed router will be replaced with a D-Link. I'm not sure that the weak signal is the whole problem, but certainly the inability to hold a connection is more pronounced in areas with weaker signal, and it has more trouble with mixed G/N networks than with G-only or N-only networks. As regards Apple - the problem also appears on the Apple base stations, so I think it's quite simply an issue in manufacturing or driver support.

Client problems with holding onto "marginal" wireless signals is part of the joys of wireless.

I'd add an additional access point, connected via Ethernet. Most anything would do, but I would not recommend any "N 150" products. If you have an old G router around, just convert it to an AP.

Yeah, no G routers lying about any more - hence I need to buy one. The cheapest router (G, N, anything) was the DIR 601. You wouldn't recommend even using the 601 as a G-only router?

Yeah, no G routers lying about any more - hence I need to buy one. The cheapest router (G, N, anything) was the DIR 601. You wouldn't recommend even using the 601 as a G-only router?
Set to G mode I guess it would be fine, assuming it's cheaper or the same as a regular G router.

Set to G mode I guess it would be fine, assuming it's cheaper or the same as a regular G router.

Excluding a product from a company I've never heard of before (Tenda), the 601 does appear to be the cheapest. Though I suppose I could always hope to win one of the router giveaways.... :)

Sorry for you. I have Dlink DIR-825 (only N mode) and access point DAP-1160 (Only G mode). Works great! My brother hava a DIR-615. No problems.

Too often we read "I had a brand X and it was wonderful".

I make my comments on brands based on years of use and years of others' experiences noted.

A sample of 1 or 2 is not a basis for a blanket recommendation. All these consumer manufacturers have certain models that are badly designed. Some manufacturers have a long history of more than average bad products, especially bad/buggy firmware. IMO D-Link is notorious for this. IMO.

So it's best to make recommendations based on a broad experience.

I think a good source is the user critiques is Newegg - due to their volume. Throw out the oddballs, tweenies and nitwits, and look for where there are dozens of ratings.

Too often we read "I had a brand X and it was wonderful".

I make my comments on brands based on years of use and years of others' experiences noted.

A sample of 1 or 2 is not a basis for a blanket recommendation. All these consumer manufacturers have certain models that are badly designed. Some manufacturers have a long history of more than average bad products, especially bad/buggy firmware. IMO D-Link is notorious for this. IMO.

So it's best to make recommendations based on a broad experience.

I think a good source is the user critiques is Newegg - due to their volume. Throw out the oddballs, tweenies and nitwits, and look for where there are dozens of ratings.

And I make my opinion similarly based on the experiences I have had in 17ish years or so of networking, and watching others set up networks. I simply chose not to list them all, but if you'd like, I'm happy to compare experiences. And similarly, people come to Newegg, Amazon and others to bitch, rarely to speak well of their products.

Bottom line: the plural of anecdote is not data.

I'm comfortable with D-Link, have never experienced issues with them, and find their products cost-competitive. Your step one was "Don't use D-Link"; that sounds like you're either a paid shill or a fanboy, and I basically skipped over your post. Now if you came back and showed me that D-Link has problems with range and a price-comparable product from another company has no such issues, or, say, my router has a specific known issue with Apple products, or something like that which is concrete, then I'll follow your guidance. Until then, your opinion is just another opinion, like mine. And I'm happy with D-Link, until something better comes along.

Now, can we all just get along?! :)

Well, we all are entitled to our opinions, for sure.
I just get tweaked when anyone posts "I had a [that's singular] xxx and it was great]. In this era of cheap-Asian consumer WiFi, a sample of one means little.
That's my only point.

I actually have to agree with vnangia. I've had far more problems with Linksys routers and even some Netgear routers than I ever have with D-link. I don't think I've ever actually replaced one. I've found that many brands require constant resetting when they lock up. But with D-link it's usually only about once or twice a year.

But that's just my experience. Everyone's is different.

Actually the chips and circuit boards are identical in most brands. The biggest difference is usually the firmware and interface. Some guys like the Netgear interface, others like D-link. I prefer the latter.

Go with the D-link!
Ignore Stevech

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!