What's new

DIR-655 A4 review, but still no DIR-855 A2 review?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chahoua

New Around Here
The DIR-655 has just been re-reviewed because of a hardware revision. This very popular router (I have one myself) definitely deserves it due to price/performance and features.

With all the issues and recall of the DIR-855 initial release, and this being the version which SmallNetBuilder reviewed, wouldn't it stand to reason that the A2 version deserves to get a review as well. It is now readily available online for ~$250 from any number of retailers.

I would like to move to a dual-band/dual-radio router, and don't mind spending a bit more for the best one available, but I have yet to find an exhaustive review of the current hardware revision of the DIR-855.

Does anyone know of a review of the A2 version worth reading? I would love to see SmallNetBuilder update their article.

As noted in the DIR-855 review, the only difference in the A2 is the radios, which use newer Atheros draft 11n chipsets. You have basically seen the 2.4GHz performance, since the 655 A4 uses the same Atheros chipset.

Frankly, I reviewed the DIR-655 A4 mainly to get Open Air test data into the Charts database, since the 655 is a very popular draft 11n router. And even then, the A4 sat on my bench for a few months before I was able to get to it.

For the 855, even at $250, you're paying a $100 premium over the Linksys WRT610N. You will not get $100 of extra performance, however. You're paying that price because the 855 is expensive to manufacture, since it still uses mini-PCI radios. It appears that D-Link isn't motivated to cost-reduce the 855, a pretty good sign that they don't think it's worth the investment.

At this point, 5 GHz draft 11n, whether in concurrent two-radio, or selectable single-radio form is a disappointment. Manufacturers are unwilling to make the design changes (which add a small cost) to bring 5 GHz range more in line with 2.4 GHz range.

At some point I may review the 855 A2. But it's not a priority. And, if I were you, I wouldn't spend the money. Since you already have the DIR-655, just buy a NETGEAR WNHDE111, if you want to see what 5 GHz will do for you. I know the review says "disappointing range". But it was reviewed early on, before I found that all 5 GHz draft 11n products had poor range.

Thanks for the prompt response and advice. I'll take a look at the Netgear WNHDE111. They seem to be relatively inexpensive and together with my DIR-655 the cost is very close to the WRT610N, although I lose an Ethernet port.

One of the other reasons I was potentially interested in the DIR-855 was the jumbo frame support, which the WRT610N doesn't have and I use with my NAS. Although I'd prefer to have everything in a single device since I have "tech sprawl," keeping the 655 does allow me to keep using jumbo frames for now.

Tim

The problem I have with the Netgear WNHDE111 is that its not a big seller for Netgear. Its had a single firmware update, and that was a year ago. This is reminiscent of the way Netgear typically handles issues with slow selling consumer products. They have limited resources with their ODM and don't spend it where there is no return.

The Linksys WRT610 has had a huge list of issues as reported on several forums, but still no firmware update from Linksys. Why? Because the units sit on the shelf at BestBuy rotting, while people gobble up the $59 WRT54GX2 (or whatever they call it these days).

Dlink has handled with DIR-855 the very same way. Look at the Dlink forums and you'll find a few unhappy long term owners of the 855. Its a loser for Dlink so they don't spend $$ on firmware or hardware revisions.

From the 09 CES it looks like there's a few new 5Ghz products coming in Q2. I think Netgear, Buffalo and DLink all showed new stuff. I know people poo poo 5Ghz, but if you're trying to stream video, it works so so much better due to the interference free frequency range. Hopefully the 09 product will be priced right and help dual band become more mainstream.

Don't hold your breath. People are generally not buying dual-band, especially expensive dual-band.

Current draft 11n 5GHz products have shorter range than 2.4GHz products. It doesn't need to be that way. It's just that manufacturers are choosing lower manufacturing cost over performance. But they are shooting themselves in the foot in the process by poisoning the market against 5 GHz products.

The WNHDE111 is a relatively inexpensive way to add 5 GHz capability and has higher throughput than the D-Link DAP1522.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30538/84/1/2/

For the 855, even at $250, you're paying a $100 premium over the Linksys WRT610N. You will not get $100 of extra performance, however. You're paying that price because the 855 is expensive to manufacture, since it still uses mini-PCI radios. It appears that D-Link isn't motivated to cost-reduce the 855, a pretty good sign that they don't think it's worth the investment.

Is it worth 100 dollars for stability? Although some are happy with the 610N, there have been many complaints regarding dropped signals and daily reboots. If the 855 has great 2.4GHz range and .... passable 5GHz range, and is a stable performer, maybe it is the better value. Of course, the review does have the 600N spanking the 855 in the wireless department on bench tests.

Then again, I am fairly confused to my needs in a new wireless router :D.

-david

Last edited:
While I agree the 855 A2 isn't worth reviewing I strongly disagree with your reasoning. With 802.11n being in draft still the radio being difference could have a large impact. I just think the A2 isn't worth reviewing as there were some completely new dual band routers announced at CES which going by the use of new underlying chipsets should be a major improvement over the current line of dual band routers.

BTW even if 5Ghz range is bad in comparison to 2.4 GHz in an apartment situation 5GHz may be much better if the range can still reach everywhere you want it to reach. For example in my apt I see ~22 networks all 802.11g at 2.4GHz and no one is using 5GHz so I have a very strong feeling if I used a 802.11n network it would have better performance at 5GHz over 2.4GHz.

It looks that way.

Why would you want a DIR-855? its getting a bit old and Dlink does a fairly horrible job supporting it.

If you want cutting edge you may as well wait for the 2 or 3 upcoming 450Mb/s 3x3 N routers that are supposedly coming soon.

if you need to buy today I would recommend the DIR-825 B1 or the Linksys WRT400 if you can live with the 10/100 switch.

BTW, if you want to read more about the DIR-855, look here:

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?board=187.0

;) But are you sure?

I did not see any other FCC applications for the 855 besides the A1 and A2. Google results for A3 or B1 were not sufficient to convince me that another model exists (one guy on the DDWRT forum claims to have a B1, but given the absence of others I think he's mistaken).

The reason for uncertainty is that I can't disprove the existence of an upgrade (aside from contacting D-Link, which you can do just as easily as I), I can only point at the lack of evidence in favor of it.

The reason for uncertainty is that I can't disprove the existence of an upgrade (aside from contacting D-Link, which you can do just as easily as I), I can only point at the lack of evidence in favor of it.

I called D-Linktoday, they confirm that A2 is the latest hardware rivision.

If that's what floats your boat go ahead.

Ive bought the 855 but I found the wireless performance not impressive. I send it back and instead I bought the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH router for Wireless G and second hand the Belkin f5d8233-4 router for Wireless N!