What's new

DIR-655 Firmware v. 1.30 removes 802.11B

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smapdi

Occasional Visitor
So over at the DLink forums (forums.dlink.com) we were notified that a new firmware was released for the DIR-655. The changelog shows that 802.11B has been removed. When asked, one of the DLink admins said:

Somebody's got to be the first...the forced 802.11b compliancy restricts G/N capabilities (regulations!). Some of you have encountered that issue (friendly neighbour restrictions etc) already. Other than removing 802.11b there is just no way around that Wifi alliance regulation!

If the ancient 802.11b is being kept alive this will obstruct future N developments/performance. Progress can only be made when the old is out of the way. If they had to wait until all 802.11b devices were gone we would still be waiting in 20 years. It's a cruel world out there...

Is there any truth to this explanation?

If 11g is still supported then the "friendly neighbor" protection will still need to be in effect, which will still cause performance degradation with mixed 11n and 11g clients. But some of the protections for 11b that were built into 11g will be able to be bypassed, which could slightly improve performance.

This is the first that I have heard of this. Can you give me a link to the D-Link forum thread? I am going to follow up with D-Link and the Wi-Fi Alliance to dig a bit further and will report back. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks. There is also a thread over on DSLreports.

I have requests for comment out to both D-Link and the Wi-Fi Alliance.

Wi-Fi Alliance says:
11b support remains mandatory for all Wi-Fi CERTIFIED products, and failure to support 11b would invalidate or prevent certification per our policies.

Waiting response from D-Link.

Looks like DLink changed the Wi-Fi Alliance logo on the DIR-655 product page to only show 802.11g and draft n.

Does anyone have a good alternative to the DIR-655 which has N as well as gigabit ethernet?

I was thinking the Linksys WRT310 or 610 and putting DD-WRT on it.

That is interesting and contradicts information that I have from D-Link.
The Wi-Fi Cert still shows 11b certification.

Looks like DLink changed the Wi-Fi Alliance logo on the DIR-655 product page to only show 802.11g and draft n.

Does anyone have a good alternative to the DIR-655 which has N as well as gigabit ethernet?

I was thinking the Linksys WRT310 or 610 and putting DD-WRT on it.

Putting DD-WRT on the these models are fine..

I've flashed the 1.30NA onto the DIR-655 that has stop the leak problem where you disable the wireless dlink would still broadcast a wireless signal. Now that's gone. Thus my wireless access point as gain 10% signal strength measured.

DIR-615 C1/3.10 firmware also has 802.11g dropped..

Firmware 1.31 suppose to come out with 802.11b feature enabled.. No confirm on that though..

1.30 firmware

Why would one use wireless B on a highend router what a waste. I have this router and have turned it off, be nice to see inproments I say drop it and move on, it's like the BETA & VHS days if you wish to still use it keep the old router around or ebay a old linksys router.

You be surprise how many people still use B... I scan my area there is only 1 or 2 still on it out of 10 wireless spots.. I don't use B ...

Why would one use wireless B on a highend router what a waste. I have this router and have turned it off, be nice to see inproments I say drop it and move on, it's like the BETA & VHS days if you wish to still use it keep the old router around or ebay a old linksys router.

Like Tim said in his article, the Nintendo DS, DSi and Sony PSP use 802.11b and those are not old devices (the DSi just came out in the states this month).

Personally I would rather be the one to make the choice for turning 802.11b on or off. This just reeks of DLink being lazy and not wanting to code for 802.11b.

You're missing the point. The point is not getting rid of 802.11b; it's about getting rid of a significant feature, preventing firmware downgrading should the user regret such a change, and only mentioning about these two points in release note item No. 9 and No. 10.

D-Link Support Instructs me to download 1.30

Called D-Link support to try to get help resolving an issue with MAC filtering; I have MAC filter on to ALLOW only listed addresses. For some reason, the router loses the MAC addresses I enter on an intermittent basis. Doesn't lose all of them... just enough to be annoying.

Anyway, D-Link support, after the usual 10 - 15 qualifier questions, suggest that I download the latest firmware... yep, v1.30.

So I go to their support page and see the warning from D-Link in red on the page. I bring the issue up that there is this warning that one is basically making an irreversible decision... no comment from the help guy except to repeat, "yes, please download". Despite a few observations from me that this doesn't seem the wisest course of action, much less provide a guarantee of fixing my issue, he continued to recommend that I download the firmware.

Not once did he attempt to explain the ramifications of that course of action. Now I am not the smartest guy around, but at least I read the instructions. What happens if some less technical person is being told this. Heck... the tech desk didn't even explain what to consider about losing 802.11b support.

Remove B

I would be find removing my wireless B network support since it slows down the network.

I think what's more important is to outlaw cordless phones that work on 2.4 ghz. Every time I hear my neighbor's phone ring, I have to reconnect to my router.

I would be find removing my wireless B network support since it slows down the network.

I think what's more important is to outlaw cordless phones that work on 2.4 ghz. Every time I hear my neighbor's phone ring, I have to reconnect to my router.

Get 5.8GHz DSS or newer DECT 6.0 1.9GHz to solved that.. That would mean your 2.4GHz band range is crowded. How much distance are you from your next door buddy?

Lot of different angles on this one.

I am in favour removing 802.11B support on the DIR-655 because I want more performance and I am willing to give up legacy support to get it. Although I think this is a cost cutting exercise from Dlink in addition to their claims of pursuing performance, I find that acceptable. I'd rather see more firmware updates fixing more bugs than have legacy support testing delaying firmware releases.

I can understand the argument for not watering down WIFI certification standards but in this instance maybe its the standard that needs amendment and Dlink actions bring this into view. It's questionable that wireless b/WEP should be mandatory on products anymore; its not really secure enough to offer to non-technical users AND it should probably come with a warning (not safe to use). The WIFI trademark should hold some claim to 'safe and secure' use on brand new products and that is a better use of the trademark than as a 'legacy guarantee'. WIFI is a trademark not a standard.

The draft" wireless standards have already shown that the WIFI certification can be fluid and its no surprise that companies like dlink, which have done an excellent job with wireless N, are keen to continue to move ahead.

Lot of different angles on this one.

I am in favour removing 802.11B support on the DIR-655 because I want more performance and I am willing to give up legacy support to get it. Although I think this is a cost cutting exercise from Dlink in addition to their claims of pursuing performance, I find that acceptable. I'd rather see more firmware updates fixing more bugs than have legacy support testing delaying firmware releases.

I can understand the argument for not watering down WIFI certification standards but in this instance maybe its the standard that needs amendment and Dlink actions bring this into view. It's questionable that wireless b/WEP should be mandatory on products anymore; its not really secure enough to offer to non-technical users AND it should probably come with a warning (not safe to use). The WIFI trademark should hold some claim to 'safe and secure' use on brand new products and that is a better use of the trademark than as a 'legacy guarantee'. WIFI is a trademark not a standard.

The draft" wireless standards have already shown that the WIFI certification can be fluid and its no surprise that companies like dlink, which have done an excellent job with wireless N, are keen to continue to move ahead.

Did you even read Tim's article? The Wi-Fi Alliance does NOT say that WEP must be present, just that 802.11b/g and draft n have to be. Do not make the mistake of thinking that 802.11b and WEP are somehow the same thing.

The Alliance cert is there to ensure COMPATIBILITY and NOT security. While the Wi-Fi Alliance is just an industry group, it is their existence and their certification of products that lets consumers know that all of the different 802.11 devices will work together. Without their "trademark", you would be tied to only products made by the manufacturer of your router.

In firmwares pre-1.30, you had the option of running the network as mixed 802.11b/g/draft-n, mixed b/g, mixed g/draft-n, b only, g only and draft-n only. If you are so inclined, there was nothing stopping you from running mixed g/draft-n or just draft-n for "performance".

Doing what DLink did with 1.3 is not just bad for those of us which have 802.11b devices, it also cheapens the interoperability assurance which the Wi-Fi Alliance certificate provides.