What's new

DIR-655 w/ power loss

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maxxjr

Occasional Visitor
My DIR-655 seems to have severe problems dealing with power losses. It is connected to a UPS, but when the UPS gives out, as it has done a couple of times when I was not around...

I have a static IP for my internet service, and one time, the router was assigning the static IP address to a DHCP client on the LAN side!

Another time, the router would not recognize one of the PC's on my LAN, despite moving the Ethernet cable to another port that was still working (where another wired PC was connected and had no issues seeing the router).

The reset button doesn't seem to have an effect. Leaving it unplugged for a minute or two does not let it recover. Various combinations of holding the reset button for 5 or 10 seconds, and holding the reset button as I plug in the power did not work. The first two times, I had given up on it for dead, was planning on getting a new router, when it recovered.

Two of the times on recovery, the router went back to factory settings...which was a pain setting everything back up again.

Is there a magic sequence to recovering the router when power is lost?

Based on my experience, I would not buy another one. Being able to gracefully handle a power loss should be an important feature of a "backbone" type of device for my home network.

Thanks!

Could be the router was damaged by a surge during one of the power losses. It should not lose configuration or reset to default simply by having power cycled.

If you're not going to replace the router, I suggest backing up your settings so that you can recover more easily.

My DIR-655 seems to have severe problems dealing with power losses. ...
Based on my experience, I would not buy another one. Being able to gracefully handle a power loss should be an important feature of a "backbone" type of device for my home network.

Thanks!
My opinion too. D-Link is very adept at marketing. Not so in reselling reliable stuff from Asia.

I wonder.. all these routers save their configuration in non-volatile memory (no power needed), so long as YOU tell it to do so. And you can copy that config data to a file your PC to use in case the router reverts to factory settings, or you did so.

But D-link, nah. not me.