What's new

DIR-878 - 5G not visible on Pixel 2, connects on macbook - Country Code?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tito06

New Around Here
I purchased a DIR-878 after reading the SNB review of the DIR-882 and seeing it on sale for $80. So far, I'm not too impressed. I have had a few connection hiccups on 2.4G, but the more annoying issue is that my Pixel 2 does not see the 5G signal. I have everything set basically stock with a shared SSID. I know 5G is working because my macbook connects to it fine. I was also able to connect to the 5G at least briefly at one point with the Pixel, but haven't seen it since. It says it is broadcasting on channel 40. My Pixel sees a few other weak 5G networks from my neighbors in this channel range using WiFi Analyzer, but not mine.

One item I saw in an amazon review was that D-Link broadcasts with country code NA and this can cause issues. macOS wireless diagnostics does show the country code of NA while all the neighbor networks are US.

Any suggestions for things I should try to troubleshoot this? I'm not sure if it's related, but I will also occasionally not see 5G or 2.4G on my phone at all while other clients are still connected. This happens to another phone that has to reconnect to the network when returning home. The phones work fine in all other wifi environments.

My initial suspicion was that your router was using a DFS channel that the adapter doesn't support but the DIR-878 does not have FCC approval to use DFS channels and channel 40 does not require DFS in any region.

Maybe try explicitly setting the network to use a different channel. Try choosing a channel between 149 and 165.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!