What's new

Diy nas os

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rancid

Occasional Visitor
Been a little while since i changed my DIY NAS about (must have been a good build).

At the moment its a fairly beefy box (Intel C2D 2.3Ghz / 4GB / 1.5TB) running Win2008 server. As well as normal network share it also hosts my home email (Axigen Mail server) and a DYDDNS client.

ive been seeing a few NAS units floating about and it does appeal to me the way the way some of them have built in software modules for webhosting/email/file sharing/backup etc and so on.

EZTray seems to have a whole host of software modules available.

I have tried FreeNas / Ubuntu / Openfiler etc but what i really wanted to know is if there are any Linux distros that are specificaly built to make my vannila PC act more like one of the feature rich NAS box's rather then installing plain Linux and selecting and installing all the softwares seperatly ?

Cheers
Rancid.

What kind of features are you looking for? Most people seem very satisfied with FreeNAS, and I'm quite happy with Ubuntu, so I'm just curious as to what you're looking for, in order to help you out further :)