What's new

DIY VMWare Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sn00zE

New Around Here
Hi guys..
Need some advice with hardware for my personal VMWare server..
Budget needs to be as low as possible with best parts to use..

For hardware i have the following:

AMD FX-8120 Octo-Core 3.1GHz AM3+ processor
Asus M5A88-M EVO AM3+ Motherboard
16GB Ram (Brand undecided)
SYBA SY-PEX40008 PCI Express SATA II (3.0Gb/s) Software RAID Controller Card
Port Multiplier CFI-B53PM 5 Port Backplane
2x xxGB hard drives for vSphere (Raided)(HDD/SSD)
10x 2TB (Brand not decided because of pricing) (Raided)
Low Profile Dual Port Gigabit Network Server Adapter NIC Card

Case will be custom build and will sport a Dual Power supply setup.

My question is would this hardware be suffice to run at least 3 VM's..
1) Web Server
2) Media Server (for managing files and streaming to cubox)
3) All round backup and download server

Reason i'm looking at AMD rather than Intel is pricing.. Will this impact performance much seeing that i can get double the cores for half the price! Keep in mind this is not a build to do number crunching and video editing, its purely for the three vm's mentioned above..

Any advice or recommendations?

Last edited:
I don't think you'll have much problem with those components, though port expansion on the Syba would be a minor concern, I assume you'd be pushing 6 drives through it and a single PCIe lane? Have you verified the SIL3124 controller is on the VMWare HCL? Sourcing the CFI-B53PM might be a challenge. Stick with an Intel NIC for the add-on card.

Might I suggest...

I have now built four 2U VM servers with much the same requirements as yours, and I have found that used PCI-X hardware to be just the ticket for these builds. I think I've averaged around $550/machine.

Machine #3 is a prime example ( #4 is a little more problematic ), I got an Intel SR2500 (New!) for $299 (SAS midplane included), two X5460 quad core 3.18Ghz Xeon processors $218 (w/ VT), 16GB (8x2GB ECC FBDimms) for $106. A little over $600 for all but the drives.

Number four was about the same: Chenbro case $105, SM X7DBI+ $99, 2x X5460 $265, 16GB Mem $110, LSI MR 300 $22 (on the HCL), and the 2U PSU $85. But, as mentioned was a hassle with Case/MB size mismatch requiring some fretting and metal work.

The advantage here is you have same 8 cores but, in two processors at about the same speed, but a larger cache. You have a full blooded intelligent RAID controller, and the case and PSU most often come with the Motherboard.

The disadvantages are that it is EBay, some folks don't know what they are selling and that is a risk. The equipments is used, older enterprise grade interfaces - definitely not green, and you don't have as much control over how quiet it is, or its overall appearance. But if you are willing to go with a beat up muscle car, versus a shiny new budget sports car, you can have more for less.

I'd be interested in hearing about your progress....

Last edited:
GregN, thanks for your reply.. I was also wondering about the port expansion and was considering it based on the Backblaze builds. Did not think it could be a issue with VMWare ESXi. Will rather reconsider my hardware and buy the proper supported parts!

Looking at the hardware you have mentioned i have seen two other builds with the SM X7DBI+ and Dual Xeon's.. Had a look on ebay and found some hardware. Will look around a bit and see what i can find.. That seems like a much more stable and purpose build hardware option!

I have a case in mind IRS - Chassis MS-4847 KIT (8*3.5inch bays, 2*5.25inch bays, 3*fans), 400W fixed PSU.. Do you think the SM X7DBI+ will fit in there? What model Chenbro case do you have? I need at least 8*3.5inch bays for storage.. Might use a Icy Dock MB994SP-4S Quad Bay 2.5" SATA/SAS Mobile Rack for use in a single 5.25" for the ESXi host.

Agree that the two processors will be a better option in this case.. Give's me space to expand to more vm's also if i wanted.

Mmnnn power consumption i am a bit worried about.. Will be running it off a UPS also.. It will be parked in the garage so the noise will not bother much unless i do some mods to it! ;) (Dual water cooling) :D hehe

GregN, thanks for your reply.. I was also wondering about the port expansion and was considering it based on the Backblaze builds. Did not think it could be a issue with VMWare ESXi. Will rather reconsider my hardware and buy the proper supported parts!

Yes, I wondered about the backblaze approach myself, remember that is geared towards WAN speeds, not LAN speeds.

Though dated you might want to take a look at this, which implies the write speeds of network writes under ESXi may suffer significantly using just a SATA HBA instead of a RAID controller, because of the lack of offload and cache. It makes a compelling argument for using a RAID card, it is pretty dramatic.

Looking at the hardware you have mentioned i have seen two other builds with the SM X7DBI+ and Dual Xeon's.. Had a look on ebay and found some hardware. Will look around a bit and see what i can find.. That seems like a much more stable and purpose build hardware option!

My point exactly. Any of the X7 PCI-X SM boards are attractive including the X7DAE+ or X7DBE. I've yet to seriously go wrong with Supermicro. you can get someone on the phone at SM that will help you with the used board you buy - impressive. Ever try to get support from ASUS?

I have a case in mind IRS - Chassis MS-4847 KIT (8*3.5inch bays, 2*5.25inch bays, 3*fans), 400W fixed PSU.. Do you think the SM X7DBI+ will fit in there? What model Chenbro case do you have? I need at least 8*3.5inch bays for storage.. Might use a Icy Dock MB994SP-4S Quad Bay 2.5" SATA/SAS Mobile Rack for use in a single 5.25" for the ESXi host.

The size of the DBI+ is 13x13.68, which is non-standard "enhanced E-ATX", E-ATX is 12x13 - the only case I know that handles it is the Supermicro case for it, without some work. I got it to work in a Chenbro RM215022 (Discontinued, and not well documented), by removing a fan from the fan brace and cutting away part of the fan grill to make room for the wire harness. I also chose a 1U Narrow PSU.

The X7's strongly recommend at least a 550W PSU.

4U is alot of space, My Norco 4020 handles 20 drives in that space, which I used for Ol'Shuck, a SAN build. If 12-13 Drives is where you are going, there are 2U cases that will handle that.

I'm curious on which way you jump, please keep us informed, and a bunch of folks here are willing to help.

Last edited:
I'm building a VM server to replace an aging machine. Looking for recommendation to add external storage for sunfire x4100 m2?
The 1u form factor is limited to 4x2.5 inch drives.
Storage capacity requirement is 2-4 tb.

did you contact sun? :)

always go to the manufacturer for these things. Unless budget is a concern then rig it.

no. i have no support from Sun/Oracle. I'm thinking of adding an external hba and daisy chain to external enclosure. looking for alternative solutions. possibly using SATA drives for data storage and not VMs.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!