What's new

DNS-323 move to TS-219 II

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

slam5

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I have a Dlink DNS-323 right now and love to move to a TS-219 II. Would I need to format the drive to be used on the new NAS? I'm backing up the data anyway but I just like to save a little time if I can. tx

No need to format. When you move the drive to the new NAS, you can format it there.

I just did something similar taking disks out of a DNS-323 and using them for test purposes in a Synology. Part of the out-of-the-box setup on Synology is to download firmware and update. The Synology didn't like the partitions left over from the DNS. I would recommend that you remove all partitions from the disks prior to using them on the TS219. This doesn't require a format -- just remove the partitions. I did it using windows disk manager and a USB disk-docking station.

What i mean

What i mean is whether the ts-219 II will insist on me format the drive and have to restore from my bkup. In theory i don't have to ask both are linux boxes and format the drive to ext2 format, don't they?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!