What's new

Does any one else use this router for a PS3? UPnP question..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RedBatman89

Regular Contributor
Okay so I have had The RT-AC68U router for over a month now, with firmware 3.0.0.4.376.3626. While its been great, I have some questions regarding PS3 info. I noticed after a few weeks having my new router UPnP came as not available for my PS3 so I power cycled it and fixed it. then two days ago it happened again and then later tonight as well.

My question is that why does this happen?

Anyone else encounter this from time to time?

Last edited:
Okay so I have had this router for over a month now and while its been great, I have some questions regarding PS3 info. I noticed after a few weeks having my new router UPnP came as not available for my PS3 so I power cycled it and fixed it. then two days ago it happened again and then later tonight as well.

My question is that why does this happen?

Anyone else encounter this from time to time?

Would help if you precised what is "this router" you are talking about, as well as what firmware it's running.

Well it happened to me again today, over two weeks after the last time it happened. Should I be worried or just treat it as a minor net error?

Well it happened to me again today, over two weeks after the last time it happened. Should I be worried or just treat it as a minor net error?

I have the RT-AC66U running Merlin's latest 3.0.0.4.376.48_3 and use PS3's throughout the house with PS3 Media Server or Universal Media Server and UPnP has always been rock solid for years and years and years. Have never seen UPnP go down. There's a problem somewhere.... maybe go to latest firmware?

I don't know with the PS3, but with the XBox there's a bug in the XBox itself where if the console comes back from sleep mode, it won't properly request its ports to be forwarded again by the UPNP daemon - it expects them to still be in place. So if the console was in sleep mode long enough for those port forwards to expire, the console will wake up with no port forwards working anymore.

Try a complete power cycle of the PS3 to see if it helps. If it does, then there's a good chance Sony has the same bug where they ignore the fact that UPNP forwards do expire after a period of inactivity.

Now that you mention it, I do remember one time a year ago it had happened to my PS3, so out of curiosity I turned my system off then waited a minute and then turned it back on and it was back to being available.

Okay so it happened again tonight but now I have one thing to ask. I never use the PS3 media server, I only use my PS3 to play games and usually play online once a day.

Some have told me I don't need UPnP to play online, is that true?

Okay so it happened again tonight but now I have one thing to ask. I never use the PS3 media server, I only use my PS3 to play games and usually play online once a day.

Some have told me I don't need UPnP to play online, is that true?

I have a PS3 and PS4 connected to my Asus AC68U with UPnP turned off running Merlin's .48 build; no problems connecting to PSN.

Thank you very much. But what about online play? Have any trouble connecting or playing with people?

Last edited:
Well now I guess I was worrying over nothing. So I guess UPnP is only useful for sharing music then.

BTW I use the firmware that Asus puts out. I have not touched merlin'a firmware.

Okay it happened again tonigh, but instead of power cycling I decided to connect and play some online on PAN and I had no trouble. Now I then decided to do a connection test on my PS3 and upnp came back as available. So now I'm kinda confused why this happen.

I noticed that happens usually on days when (mostly Monday and Saturday) when I work 8-5 and plug my systems in a few hours later it comes on as not available.

So yeah I don't understand why it happens, feels like I'm cursed almost XD.

Neither PSN nor XBL have been completely reliable in my experience. I routinely experience a "strict NAT" error on my Xboxen, but can play just fine anyway. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're unable to play.

Okay I'm starting to think this may be a router firmware issue since it happened again today and yesterday, but yesterday when I turned imy ps3 off then back on that fixed it, however tonight that didn't work so I had to disable then enabled UPnP on my router and that fixed it.

So I'm thinking it maybe a glitch or something in the routers firmware?

Also this only happens during the night too.

Last edited:
Okay its been awhile but yeah I wanted to post that it happened to me today and well I tried to power cycle my ps3 first by unplugging it then replugging it back in after 30 secs but that didn't fix it so had to power cycle router again. Yeah don't know what causes it at times.