What's new

double nat problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gurpartap

New Around Here
hi guys
i have an asus n68u router attached to my ISP Modem (huawei hg8240). My isp modem is also configured as a router and so is the asus router so this creates a problem of Double NAT .
so due to this double nat i cannot setup ftp share via internet as i cant configure ddns on asus router----it gives a error of invalid ip address also it says that this router is in a double nat envoirment so ddns wont function properly.
i searched a lot and figured out i can setup my asus router as ACCESS POINT and this will eiminate problem of double nat,i did that,but after that all the options of setting up AI disk(ftp share thorugh internet) were lost ,only local ftp share is availaible. so my query is
1)- Can i somehow still use asus AI disk for my connected drive while the router is in access point mode?

i also tried to put my Isp router in bridge mode and then entered my username and password in the asus router but it doesnt work ,the aus router givees an error that username password is not correct,although same username password when used through isp modem works perfectly.

so can anyone please help me how should i setup everything... ?
i am kind of new to networking but if anybody can provide some help or point me in the correct direction it is greatly appreciated .
thank you
notes-
huawei hg8240 is an fibre optic modem connected to asus through the wan port .
can setting up port forwarding on the isp modem be of some use?

Last edited:
If you have the logon to your hg8240, you can probably just put that in bridge mode and then use the asus router as your main router. Would solve a lot of heartache.

If you have the logon to your hg8240, you can probably just put that in bridge mode and then use the asus router as your main router. Would solve a lot of heartache.
i did that but when i input my given username and password from my isp in the asus router it says its incorrect... do i need to configure any other settings too?

i did that but when i input my given username and password from my isp in the asus router it says its incorrect... do i need to configure any other settings too?

I personally have no experience with this particular router/ONT setup to comment. But there are a number of forums that I found with google searches talking about bridging it. Again, don't take this as advice, but this is one I found.

http://translate.google.com/transla...do-bridge-monopuesto/td-p/1883305&prev=search

If you can't get it working in bridge mode set up set up ddns on your primary router and forward port 21 to your ASUS.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

If you can't get it working in bridge mode set up set up ddns on your primary router and forward port 21 to your ASUS.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk
what should the ddns settings be? in ddns service provider no mention of asuscomm.com.. i have attached screenshots of ddns settings page of my primary router.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    177.2 KB · Views: 794
  • 1.png
    1.png
    182.8 KB · Views: 955
what should the ddns settings be? in ddns service provider no mention of asuscomm.com.. i have attached screenshots of ddns settings page of my primary router.

I'm not sure. The first question I have is it possible to get asuscomm.com to work on hardware other than ASUS? Perhaps someone else on the forum can answer that question.

Personally, I use dyndns as it seems to be the most common/popular service provider and therefore built into most devices. While in the past DynDns offered a free service I'm not sure that option is still available. I pay them $25 a year for thirty domain names which more than handles my needs and work on all types routers.

My time is valuable to me so spending hours trying to get something for free instead of paying a few bucks isn't worth it. Your situation maybe different.

Asus's DDNS service is exclusive to their routers.

I'm not sure. The first question I have is it possible to get asuscomm.com to work on hardware other than ASUS? Perhaps someone else on the forum can answer that question.

Personally, I use dyndns as it seems to be the most common/popular service provider and therefore built into most devices. While in the past DynDns offered a free service I'm not sure that option is still available. I pay them $25 a year for thirty domain names which more than handles my needs and work on all types routers.

My time is valuable to me so spending hours trying to get something for free instead of paying a few bucks isn't worth it. Your situation maybe different.
okk... i get it now ..asuscomm.com is exclusive to asus routers only. so my question now is that if i sign up for dyndns and then setup dns on my primary router as it supports that, can i then access the harddrive attached to my asus router or any other network drive remotely??

Asus's DDNS service is exclusive to their routers.
when i put my isp modem in bridge mode and then enter username password in the asus router under ppoe mode it says incorrect password although same credentials work fine with my isp modem... what can be the problem here? is it possible that somehow my isp blocks any other modem ?

because i even tried to setup ppoe connection directly on my pc after putting isp modem in bridge ...it gave an error while dialing saying ``remote computer closed the connection``

Turn off all network equipment, including modem, off for at least 30 minutes and then boot them up in proper sequence again.

Modem first (wait about 5 minutes for it to settle).
Router second (wait for about 5 minutes for it to settle).
Clients (usually, these can all be turned on at the same time).

okk... i get it now ..asuscomm.com is exclusive to asus routers only. so my question now is that if i sign up for dyndns and then setup dns on my primary router as it supports that, can i then access the harddrive attached to my asus router or any other network drive remotely??
Yep, I myself recommend the vpn server, rather then open a bunch of ports listening , just have the vpn listening on 1194 (default), when you connect remotely with OpenVPN you are on your lan and everything is accessible , ssh, smb, NAS, FTP, etc. The data being sent and received is encrypted as well with just one port that needs to be forwarded instead of a bunch to manage. If you go that route, you need to remember to change the host manually in the opvn file (replace the class C IP with your hostname) the router generates to your ddns host name. Also to port forward just that one port 1194 (default) on your huawei hg8240. I had to go another route because my edge device is neutered with ddns not functional, I have ddns running on the 2nd router (AC68U) thanks to the members here posting there howto's here as I also am double NAT'd. http://www.snbforums.com/threads/best-way-to-do-ddns-updates-when-behind-another-dsl-router.23079/

okk... i get it now ..asuscomm.com is exclusive to asus routers only. so my question now is that if i sign up for dyndns and then setup dns on my primary router as it supports that, can i then access the hard drive attached to my asus router or any other network drive remotely??

I have no problem accessing any of the drives I have attached to a USB hub connected to my ASUS router.

1. I have DynDNS on my primary router.
2. I have Port 21 forwarded to the static LAN IP of my ASUS router which is double NATed behind another router. The router handling port forwarding also lets me set time of day rules for when port 21 is forwarded. I only forward port 21 8 AM - 6 PM.
3. I have enabled WAN access to my drives set up for FTP. I have set R/W privileges and use a secure password. When I don't think I will need access from the WAN I disable WAN access.

Before signing up for DynDNS try accessing your primary router, the port forward and your FTP files just using your public IP as assigned by your ISP. Many ISPs don't change the IP assigned unless the router is offline for some period of time.

Many people will tell you to only access your home network using a VPN connection. Not bad advice, but you can not get OpenVPN to run on the ASUS when double NATed.

Also for many applications it is unnecessary security. I don't keep files with sensitive information on the drives exposed to the Internet. I keep COPIES of photos from vacation trips and non sensitive documents that I might need for reference when away from home.

In the two years I have been running this setup I have never seen any entries in my ASUS router's log that indicates that anyone has tried to logon onto my FTP drives but me. If I did I would just take my drives off line for a few days and then change my FTP password before putting them back on line. Also depending on what firmware you have on your ASUS you may have the option to limit logon attempts to so many per time period.

when i put my isp modem in bridge mode and then enter username password in the asus router under ppoe mode it says incorrect password although same credentials work fine with my isp modem... what can be the problem here? is it possible that somehow my isp blocks any other modem ?

because i even tried to setup ppoe connection directly on my pc after putting isp modem in bridge ...it gave an error while dialing saying ``remote computer closed the connection``
Before unplugging your modem, you should logon and release your DHCP lease and then unplug it. Then plug your other router in and plug in your user/pass for ppoe and try it. It will only be able to hand out one lease and since its in use by your router it wont give it to you. Alternatively, you could unplug your router and wait for the lease to expire as someone mentioned above.

I currently am in the same situation: I have a modem/router of my internet provider (a FRITZ!Box) and the RT-AC87U router.

Unfortunately I cannot, it is no longer possible, to put the first modem/router in bridge mode or to make it acting as modem only.

There is therefore no solution (I will soon switch internet provider, so for the moment I do not bother too much) other than continuing to use the first modem/router for my NAS and use the Asus as a wireless repeater (it is dual band) for all other home clients.

giopas

I am not sure is there even one Huawei 3G/4G router which can be configured to work in bridge mode.
Asked my mobile provider, they said they asked Huawei to implement this in the new firmware.
So far they have not received a response from Huawei, stating that they will do it.
One way to manage this is to have a router where you can insert USB modem stick directly.
But that brings along another bunch of issues.

In your Huawei modem/router, simply setup DMZ and point to your Asus router. Most services such as ftp, openvpn, etc will just work.

There is a way to make Asus ddns work from the Asus router too. But probably easier for u to simply use a free ddns on the Huawei modem/router.