What's new

Double NAT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ArchManXXX

New Around Here
Hey there,

I've been having an issue with Double NAT for the last few days now and I haven't been able to solve it. I'll do my best to explain the situation:

I have a Asus RT-AC68U and a Huawei B612 LTE CPE Wireless Gateway. They are connected to each other via their respective WAN ports. The gateway's IP is 192.168.1.1 and the Asus is 192.168.2.1

I have set the Huawei in bridge mode so that the Asus does all the heavy lifting. However, I'm still getting a Double NAT warning on my Xbox One (NAT Strict) and a Type 3 NAT on my PS4. I have disabled the wireless radio and the firewall on the gateway. When I log into the Asus, I see it has a WAN IP of 100.101.118.117 but when I do a Trace Route on my Mac, the first two hops are private IP addresses. I have set the Asus WAN Connection Type to Automatic IP.

One thing I should point out is that next to the Bridge Mode checkbox on the Huawei, it says:

Only supports wireless dialup in bridge mode

I'm not really sure what else to do to resolve this Double NAT scenario. Any help would be appreciated. If any further information is needed from me to solve this issue, please let me know.

I have a Asus RT-AC68U and a Huawei B612 LTE CPE Wireless Gateway. They are connected to each other via their respective WAN ports.
I believe that the connection should be from a LAN port of the Huawei to the WAN port of ASUS.

See if your ISP will allow a connection to something other than the Huawei; a modem or the ASUS itself.

Hi there,

Thank you for the quick response! I made the change you described but unfortunately, the issue still exists.

The Huawei is what they supplied themselves and it seems that I'm stuck with it.

Any suggestions?

The WAN IP address of 100.101.118.117 means that your internet connection is provided through a Carrier-grade NAT. Therefore you will never be able to remove the double NAT situation.
That's a public IP... doesn't look like CG-NAT to me.

That's a public IP... doesn't look like CG-NAT to me.
Ah OK, it's in the 100.64.0.0/10 subnet that they use, so yea, may be CG-NAT, so possibly unsolvable.

Makes sense if this is an LTE based ISP.

Worth noting you can sometimes beg/pay your LTE ISP to give you a real public IP.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!