What's new

Dropping connection with Asus RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Renecek

Occasional Visitor
Hello, just found this forum and I believe you help me.
Some days ago I bought Asus RT-N66U. I updated firmware to the latest (3.0.0.4.378_9459) but I have small problem. every 1-2 days connection drops and I must restart router manually with button on the rear side of router. Don't know where is a problem.

Can you recommend me any tips how to fix that please?
Thank you.

Hello, just found this forum and I believe you help me.
Some days ago I bought Asus RT-N66U. I updated firmware to the latest (3.0.0.4.378_9459)
The N66U is a rock solid device and typically does not have stability issues.

Did you do a factory reset after the update and reconfigured the router manually from scratch? :rolleyes:

You can also install the newer version of the firmware build by Merlin - again you need to do a factory reset after the update and reconfigure manually (or use John's NVRAM save/restore tool). ;)

On the other hand you should not enable to much of the AiCloud/USB application stuff unless you add a thumb drive (USB HDD or internal SD card) for a swap file - the poor router has only 256 MByte of RAM and can easily run out of RAM in case you add such applications to it. :eek:

Whenever unknown / unforeseen / unexpected results / accidents occur
syslog is your friend.

Post syslog information before & after snapshots of such incidents
as it will help you and others to understand, diagnose & rectify the issue.

Router ->Web UI->System Log

Thank you guys. No I didn't a factory reset after update, I didn't know it' required. So I'll try it when I will at home and will see if it helps in next days.
I post system logs if connection drops again.

If I instll for example merlin and I update to the latest version after some days/weeks do I need to make factory teset again? After every update?

Btw is better to install merlin or ddwrt?
Thank you very much.

If I instll for example merlin and I update to the latest version after some days/weeks do I need to make factory teset again? After every update?
The rule of thumb is to do factory reset when
- you jump over multiple versions and/or different forks (e.g. Asus vs. Merlin) - look for the GPL version number!
- the internals of the firmware changes (e.g. driver change for wireless, etc.) - look into the change logs of all versions!
Btw is better to install merlin or ddwrt?
As you are in the Asus/Merlin forum the answer is clear! :rolleyes:
If you ask the same question in the DD-WRT forum you get the opposite answer! ;)

My personnel experience from running DD-WRT for years on Linksys routers, is that it's very hard to find/test for a stable version as DD-WRT is in permanent Beta and users need to test and find the issues. :confused:
If you want to do continuous Beta testing and be always involved in the router tweaking and testing go for DD-WRT!

If you want a stable and permanently enhanced firmware from the vendor go for Asus/Merlin (see Merlin's Charta to understand why Merlin is the better choice)! :D

Thank you, so I will install Merlin, then I'll do factory reset. If I understand correctly, I don't need to do factory reset if there will be new update for Merlin right? Sorry, my english is not very good :)

Thank you, so I will install Merlin, then I'll do factory reset. If I understand correctly, I don't need to do factory reset if there will be new update for Merlin right? Sorry, my english is not very good :)
Normally no factory reset needed when you follow all the updates, unless you read in the change log that a factory reset is recommended! :rolleyes:

It may not be needed each time as joegreat says, but if you're experiencing any mysterious glitches, a reset to factory defaults will prove one way or another if it was needed in your specific case or not. ;)

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

Use the link above to do it once and do it right. :)

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility-r22.19521/

The link above can also be used to have a saved record of all your settings (in human readable form) and help you setup a new firmware effortlessly too.

There really is no reason to not do a full reset to factory defaults and then manually and minimally configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP.

OK so I downloaded latest version of Merlin. Updated via admin, made factory reset. Hope it will works fine now, thank you :)