What's new

DSL-N16 in bridge mode - unable to access Admin GUI anymore

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GreenI

New Around Here
I have put a DSL-N16 to act as a pure modem, with a RT-AX59U router just behind.
I have given the N16 an address of 192.168.0.1
The 59U uses the default 192.168.1.1 address with 192.168.1.x for the network behind that.

The N16 will not pass an automatic IP in that mode, but it was easy enough to set up the PPPoE access then from the 59U
That is working fine.

However I am not able to access the N16 Admin GUI anymore ie to see DSL link status / speed etc.
I tried calling 192.168.0.1 - and it just hangs.
I tried adding a static route of 192.168.0.1 -> WAN on the 59U but that also still hangs

Any ideas?

PS - I know the N16 is not great, but I am waiting for my Starlink to arrive (a bit like Starship launch it keeps slipping) - and I wanted to get the new router set up and ready to swap out the WAN connection (Starlink will provide the Auto IP I have read)

I stumbled upon this thread with great excitement, only to see that there were no replies 🥲

Sadly, I'm in a part of the world where there's a MASSIVE reliance on WISPs, usually maxing out at 16Mbits, and they recently deployed VDSL2 (yeah, in 2023!) with speeds going up to 100Mbits. My old setup with the WISP included my own Asus AC66U router, which died after 7 years (summer 2022), so I had to buy something equivalent and cheap, until WiFi7 arrived. Ended up with the TP-Link Archer C80, which looks like a TOY after Asus.

Fast forward, I got a VDSL2 subscription in September 2023, for 50/4Mbits (with max rates going up to 70/15), and it is quite a good upgrade over my previous 16/4Mbit (with dynamic speed***). My ISP provided a cr*ppy TP-Link 9960 VDLS2 router, which I use as a bridge modem only, and the Archer C80 does the "routing/switching". And YES, I can not access the 9960 modem neither, hence I keep an old laptop next to it to monitor the DSL status 🫠

Me being an Asus boy, I'll definitely get a WiFi 7 mesh system from them as soon as they release, but I was also hoping to replace the 9960 modem with, again, something from Asus, like the DSL-N16, and was hoping that I'd be able to somehow access it to monitor the DSL speed etc from my local network. As I can tell from your post, it's not possible? 😭

It's possible. Use Better Search (top of every page).

Now we're getting told off for finding similar threads and asking our questions there? Back in the day people would only get angry when every teenager started their own forum thread for a question they had without searching. Geez, forums have become toxic, haven't it...

If telling you that what you want is possible and you take it as being 'told off', good luck.

Man, you literally say "go search" :D I searched and found this exact thread, like where am I supposed to go from here lol. Anyway

"SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!" 🫠🫠

Search: access ISP modem

You know you need to try different search terms, correct?

Edit: I tried to copy/paste the URL for the Better Search I did with the terms above, but it doesn't work once posted.

I did 🫠 This is a very niche case. The world has moved on to fiber eons ago, and there are no up-to-date sources. Besides, TP-Link calls this implementation a "bridge", but if you include the terms "Asus" and "bridge", you end up with lots of wireless bridging implementation pages. Try "PPPoE Relay", it's even weirder. I was just trying to find out info about the specific use case of DSL-N16 and so on, hence this thread...

Besides, that link you provided is literally empty... " Oops! We ran into some problems."

In the case of my TP-Link 9960, the device is literally just a modem, as in, it just modulates and demodulates electrical signals, that's it. No way of it being connected to the internet, even when it's successfully bridged. It can't even reach the NTP server, nor TP-Link's own cloud service for remote access/management, and most of the threads found after your search appear to be different cases 🫠

You need to continue to work on your search-fu. I updated my post 7, btw.

A modem converts/demodulates electrical signals to Ethernet. Otherwise, it is a throwaway device.

I didn't search for you. I told you how you need to search. Find the pin, not the hay.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!