What's new

[DSL-N55U] Custom dnsmasq settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Emanuele

New Around Here
Hi,

I own an ASUS DSL-N55U router/modem with the latest stock firmware from ASUS. I need to add some options to dnsmasq settings, just a couple of things to redirect some domains to my internal lan. I've tried to modify the original dnsmasq.conf in the /etc/ folder but, as I espected, it didn't keep the changes.
I found a folder in the root named "asus_jffs" and another named "jffs". I would like to add a dnsmasq.conf.add ( as I read from some other website ) but I can't write there as the partition is not formatted.
I've no option for JFFS in stock firmware.

There is some place where I can simply put my modified dnsmasq settings?

thank you very much in advance!
Emanuele

Hi,

I own an ASUS DSL-N55U router/modem with the latest stock firmware from ASUS. I need to add some options to dnsmasq settings, just a couple of things to redirect some domains to my internal lan. I've tried to modify the original dnsmasq.conf in the /etc/ folder but, as I espected, it didn't keep the changes.
I found a folder in the root named "asus_jffs" and another named "jffs". I would like to add a dnsmasq.conf.add ( as I read from some other website ) but I can't write there as the partition is not formatted.
I've no option for JFFS in stock firmware.

There is some place where I can simply put my modified dnsmasq settings?

thank you very much in advance!
Emanuele

You can't. dnsmasq.conf is dynamically generated by the router as it starts dnsmasq.

The config file customization requires a custom firmware, which is not available for the DSL-N55.

Hi,

in case someone is in need of something like that I managed to run a script that kills and restart dnsmasq with my additional settings at reboot. I'm using an external USB drive formatted in ext2 fs.
I put the drive in an usb port and then I've installed one of the standard application provided by asus ( download master or media server ).
After that, since I don't need that I proceded to remove it.
But the drive now is configured to run one script at boot. Here's the path of the script:

/mnt/<nameofdrive>/asusware/.asusrouter

I've edited this file and added the necessary command at the end of that.
My command is simple this:

killall dnsmasq
dnsmasq --log-async --address=/xxx/192.168.x.x

so now everytime I reboot my router it runs ".asusrouter" script with my custom command at the end.

I know it's not an elegant solution ( i'm trying to understand how to build the firmware from source to be elegant ), but it works and I'm happy with that.

Thank you again for your space, anyway.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!