What's new

Dual Band Router: Does using one slow the other?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ewwatson

Occasional Visitor
Hello. I have a ASUS (RT-AC68U) Wireless-AC1900 Dual-Band Gigabit Router. If I am doing some heavy uploading of videos then it noticeably slows everything else I'm doing. However if I do all the uploading on say the 5GHz channel, would the 2.4GHz channels be unaffected by the demands of the video uploading?

Heavy activity on one radio, whether the 5G or 2.4G will impact everyone else on that radio, it shouldn't impact anyone on the other radio or the LAN ports...

Just to add you only have what ever bandwidth your ISP provides that said if your using heavy bandwidth it wont really matter what band your on you only have what you have. If i max out my provided bandwidth on 5 ghz i do believe the 2.4 ghz band would also slow down. SFX2000 correct me if i am wrong !!

That sounds fair. Thanks guys. I have 50mbps download. Excited! Time warner will be completing 300mbps soon in my area.

That sounds fair. Thanks guys. I have 50mbps download. Excited! Time warner will be completing 300mbps soon in my area.

Um....you mean Charter *may* be completing the upgrade....that is if they continue with the upgrades that TWC has implemented. IMHO, there's no telling what Charter is going to do and from what I've heard, if you ever had complaints about TWC, then just wait until you see how Charter behaves. While this is slightly off topic for this thread, Charter and TWC announced on Tuesday that Charter will acquire TWC, and because it will result in a far smaller combined company that the now dead Comcast-TWC deal, it's probably going to pass muster with regulators and get approved. And the speed with which Charter is approaching this is implying this is almost a done deal: Charter is now making the Dodger broadcasts available to all of its subscribers, which has been a huge controversy here in Southern California, because TWC overpaid for the Dodgers network and none of the other providers (Dish, Direct TV, Charter, etc) have been willing to pay the price to show the channel. The upshot has been that about 70-80% of the TV market in the greater LA area hasn't been able to watch Dodger games on TV for the past two seasons. Keep in mind that almost every game (both home and away) used to be carried for free OTA.

Anyway, Charter is promising great things. We shall see. Keep your fingers crossed that the TWC plans remain in place to upgrade your service.

Oh, and on your original question, yeah, you have only what you have from your ISP. So if you max out the pipe, it will simply max you out and you can't get any additional bandwidth. With 50Mbps I would think you'd have to be doing a ton of simultaneous streaming and file transfers on multiple devices to completely saturate your bandwidth (or running multiple torrent servers).

Heavy activity on one radio, whether the 5G or 2.4G will impact everyone else on that radio, it shouldn't impact anyone on the other radio or the LAN ports...

I should probably caveat that with this is LAN/WLAN traffic - any heavy traffic going out to/from the WAN-LAN interfaces, well, yes, this would impact everyone, no matter what the source...

And if you're doing OpenVPN on top of it, well, there's some processing overhead, which also hits performance across the LAN/WLAN and WAN/LAN interfaces...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!