What's new

Dual band / Tri band mix

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

slrt

Regular Contributor
I have a couple of ZenWifi XT8s, currently connected using a wireless backhaul.
I'm moving to a new apartment with Ethernet cabling. I was considering buying a RT-AX89X as the main router, and use the XT8s as nodes. Is there a way to make the XT8s' 5GHz-2 160MHz band paired with the main routers' 5GHz band?

Apartment, 3x routers - how big is this apartment? 160MHz in a crowded Wi-Fi environment, DFS channels - not the best idea.

It's 170m², filled with brick and concrete walls.
Actually in my area the 160MHz area is pretty free, at least so far. The nearest airport >15km away, far enough that Asus's discovery software isn't bothered by it (at least given the concrete walls), and the only network I can see in WiFi analyzer from channel 100 and up is mine.

If the new apartement is ethernet cabling, why not use ethernet backhaul ? I did that in my house, 1 x rt-ax88u as main, and 2 x zenwifi xt8 as aimesh, ethernet backhaul.
So the 5Ghz-2 is used to connect devices.

That is precisely my intention. Are you able to get the 5GHz-2 use the same name and band as the main router's 5GHz, and have clients roam between them?

i use smart connect, and both 2.4ghz and 5ghz (1 & 2) have same ssid, same wpa password, and clients roam anywhere in house without a problem I am rly happy with my home network

Sweet! From what I heard, in this setup (dual-band router + tri-band nodes) only 2.4GHz and 5GHz-1 participate in SC, but I guess they've fixed it in the firmware.

Or they just didn’t setup correctly (Ethernet backhaul)
CB54C6DD-118B-494F-B82F-5416BB371E67.jpeg

Hey @Gustour, how exactly did you set up your mesh?
I got the AX89X, and I cannot configure the second 5GHz band of the XT8s. Furthermore, all devices appear under "5" rather than 5-1 or 5-2.

Hey @Gustour, how exactly did you set up your mesh?
I got the AX89X, and I cannot configure the second 5GHz band of the XT8s. Furthermore, all devices appear under "5" rather than 5-1 or 5-2.
You have to use Ethernet backhaul only, to be able to have devices on 5-2. And it shows 5-2 only on the app. On the web interface it shows only 5.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!