What's new

Dual WAN with 1 VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

simonbr

Occasional Visitor
I want to configure dual WAN with one WAN having a VPN to another site. Internet use will be using WAN1 and inner office traffic WAN2. Is this possible and are there any posts of documents that can help?

I am not sure how to achieve this, I don't have two Internet connections to test DUAL WAN
you will have to use DUAL WAN with Load Balancing, because DUAL WAN in Fail-over mode isn't able to deliver what you are asking for

maybe with some iptables scripts (magic) :) you could get this done eventually
do you have two Internet connections to test this? which Asus router do you have?

I want to configure dual WAN with one WAN having a VPN to another site. Internet use will be using WAN1 and inner office traffic WAN2. Is this possible and are there any posts of documents that can help?
From what I know the dual WAN feature is if you have 2 different ISP modems and you want to merge them together to achieve faster speeds by utilizing both services at once. You can then setup a VPN but it will go via both modems. So what you are asking for is not possible.
You will need to separate routers to do what you want.

I am not sure how to achieve this, I don't have two Internet connections to test DUAL WAN
you will have to use DUAL WAN with Load Balancing, because DUAL WAN in Fail-over mode isn't able to deliver what you are asking for

maybe with some iptables scripts (magic) :) you could get this done eventually
do you have two Internet connections to test this? which Asus router do you have?
I have 2 Asus RT-N66U routers at both locations.

The one office will have 2 internet connections next week, so anything i gather from now until then I should be able to test. I guess I can always look at the IP tables and routes before configuring the dual WAN, once configured go back in make changes to stop the Round Robbin or what ever its trying to do. I'm not too advanced in this but I do play around with Linux.

It looks like I can use my iPhone as a USB internet provider so I can also test this at my current office.

On another note, if my 2 line are 12/1 and 5/5 (down/up), will the load balancing by default use the 12/1 line for download and the 5/5 line for upload?

on further testing iPhone cannot share internet directly to the USB of the Asus router. I might try using a spare laptop, tether wifi, bridge cards and connect the laptop port to LAN1.