What's new

Dual WAN with LRT224 config question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wabyrd

New Around Here
I have a LRT224 set up with Uverse as primary WAN and Comcast as secondary WAN. On the Comcast side, it's just a Motorola Surfboard modem, nothing fancy. On the Uverse side, I've gotten as close as bridge mode as I can get. I've place the LRT224 into the Uverse's DMZ. The LRT224 is set to obtain the IP automatically on both the WAN1 and WAN2 interfaces. WAN1 is getting the IP from AT&T and is the assigned address for the Uverse RG, 45.20.xx.xx. Of note, the DNS on the LRT224 is the IP address of the Uverse RG, 192.168.1.254. WAN2 is getting the IP from Comcast and all looks fine on this one. The Uverse IP is 192.168.1.254, Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 The device IP for the LRT is 192.168.3.1 Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

When I am connected to the LRT224 with a wired connection, all of the failover and failback works perfectly. It takes roughly 12 seconds for it to failover. Barely noticeable. This is the way it should work!

Here's the problem. Behind the LRT224 I have an ASUS RT-AC88U. On the LRT224, I have set the DMZ private IP address to 192.168.3.2. On the ASUS, I have my WAN settings set to static IP with the IP address set to 192.168.3.2 (in the DMZ), subnet mask 255.255.255.0. The cable goes from LAN1 on the LRT to the WAN port on the ASUS. The default gateway on the ASUS is 192.168.3.1. I have the DNS on the ASUS set to 8.8.8.8. The problem occurs when I'm connected to the ASUS and I fail the Uverse connection. Computers connected to the ASUS router can't find the internet.

In my mind, the ASUS WAN port should just get what is fed to it from the LAN1 port on the LRT224 and it shouldn't matter which service (Uverse or Comcast) the data comes from.

The only reason I have the LRT224 is because the ASUS dual WAN feature just flat out does not work. I've spoken to their tech support and they don't even understand the RT-AC88U even has dual WAN settings in the firmware. They are useless.
Ideally, I would like both high speed connections going into the LRT224 with only the ASUS router connected behind the LRT224. I will have all of my devices connected to the ASUS via wired or wireless connections.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this so I can get things working properly.

Thanks in advance.
WB

Last edited: