What's new

Router that can handle 1000Mbit Full duplex WAN-LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Orbih

New Around Here
Hello everyone,
I tried searching the forum for a relevant topic that covered my question, but could not find any. If i have missed it, please move the thread or refer me to the thread :)

I'm getting a 1gbit Full Duplex fiber connection to my home within a couple of weeks and trying to find a suitable router that can handle the of 1gbit up and down at the same time. I have looked at UniFi routers and on some MikroTik products, but its difficult to find any testing results on MikroTik .
I have looked at UniFi Edgerouter 4 but im not 100% convinced. It did not have any switch chip in it, but i also realized its not a deal breaker if it lacks a switch chip.
Have looked at UniFi Edgerouter X as well, but it does not seem to have 1gbit Full Duplex possibility.

But do you have any recommendations?

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to the forums @Orbih.

Any current router you can buy today will give you full 1GbE speeds (full duplex) with a suitable ISP plan and hardware (ONT).

The 'gotcha' will be if you want to enable any features on that router to enhance your network experience. At that point, all bets are off.

The RT-AX88U Pro, which features 2.5GbE WAN/LAN Ports, will do this, even with a few features/options (and scripts, on RMerlin firmware) enabled and used.

As for Mikrotik and UniFi, I would shy away.

To give you better suggestions, you may want to outline what your final network and network usage are expected to be (when fully fleshed out).

Welcome to the forums @Orbih.

Any current router you can buy today will give you full 1GbE speeds (full duplex) with a suitable ISP plan and hardware (ONT).

The 'gotcha' will be if you want to enable any features on that router to enhance your network experience. At that point, all bets are off.

The RT-AX88U Pro, which features 2.5GbE WAN/LAN Ports, will do this, even with a few features/options (and scripts, on RMerlin firmware) enabled and used.

As for Mikrotik and UniFi, I would shy away.

To give you better suggestions, you may want to outline what your final network and network usage are expected to be (when fully fleshed out).
Thanks for having me :)

Why would you shy away from UniFi and MikroTik?

Anyway, the set up is nothing fancy. Have a UniFi AP6 Long Range access point so I don’t need any router with WiFi integrated in it. Would prefer not, but it’s not a deal breaker (easy to just disable it).
Other than that there is lots of streaming and online gaming in the household. I won’t be running any servers or those things, but a simple firewall would be nice.
Have looked at UniFi gateway light (UXG-lite) since it has some nice throughput even with security measures on, but it can be a little overkill. Also it only has 1 port and no switch chip in it so would need to complement with a switch.
Sadly the wiring in my home is only cat5e so not sure it will manage 2,5gbit anyway

Last edited:
Have looked at UniFi Edgerouter X as well, but it does not seem to have 1gbit Full Duplex possibility.

As far as that goes, I have several of them. They can do line-rate routing (935Mbps) with NAT enabled, with several caveats:
  • You must turn on hardware NAT (it's not on by default and is not changeable from the GUI).
  • For me, that worked even with VLANs and traffic analysis enabled. Reports are that enabling QoS or NetFlow takes the throughput down quite a bit, but I don't use either so I can't say.
  • You will not get full duplex at line rate, because it's basically a "router on a stick" configuration.
The bigger problem is that the ER-X is a pretty old product and is part of the "UISP" product family, which Ubiquiti is moving away from. If you want to buy something from them, IMO you should stick to the UniFi-branded product line. They definitely sell gear that can meet your performance desires, but it's a lot pricier than the ER-X :(

Why? Because I can't recommend anything that needs/requires a 'cloud' to function. Or, is hardware crippled when all options are used/enabled (not to mention the security issues they have).

I have a quality, pre-made 100' Cat5e cable that easily and reliably gives me 2.5GbE speeds.

I don't believe that anything can be 'overkill', within reason. Underkill is what causes most issues within a few years of setting up a proper network.

Either install wiring that will be useful in more than a decade from now, today. Or, know that you'll need to upgrade those cable runs in the future.

Buy the most powerful hardware you can afford. The software/firmware side of things isn't the driving force here. When the hardware is obsolete, so is your 'investment' in your new network. Regardless of how well-regarded the software/firmware is. Simply do not buy obsolete hardware, today.

For example, if your current use case needs 2.5GbE internal/external LAN/WAN speeds, consider carefully what a 10GbE network will cost in total, vs. what the total cost will be for your 2.5GbE network that will be 'sufficient', today. If/when you need that 10GbE network, it won't be the difference in today's costs, it will be your total current costs, plus inflation (labor), plus the future hardware costs. Don't depend on those future labor/hardware costs to be less than today. Or even remotely comparable either.

When the total cost for a 'real' network is in the thousands, spending a few hundred more to be at, or greater, than the level above isn't futureproofing, it is simply being wise with your money. The network isn't a one-time investment. It is an ongoing concern. And it should be budgeted accordingly.

Last edited:
Why? Because I can't recommend anything that needs/requires a 'cloud' to function. Or, is hardware crippled when all options are used/enabled (not to mention the security issues they have).

I have a quality, pre-made 100' Cat5e cable that easily and reliably gives me 2.5GbE speeds.

I don't believe that anything can be 'overkill', within reason. Underkill is what causes most issues within a few years of setting up a proper network.

Either install wiring that will be useful in more than a decade from now, today. Or, know that you'll need to upgrade those cable runs in the future.

Buy the most powerful hardware you can afford. The software/firmware side of things isn't the driving force here. When the hardware is obsolete, so is your 'investment' in your new network. Regardless of how well-regarded the software/firmware is. Simply do not buy obsolete hardware, today.

For example, if your current use case needs 2.5GbE internal/external LAN/WAN speeds, consider carefully what a 10GbE network will cost in total, vs. what the total cost will be for your 2.5GbE network that will be 'sufficient', today. If/when you need that 10GbE network, it won't be the difference in today's costs, it will be your total current costs, plus inflation (labor), plus the future hardware costs. Don't depend on those future labor/hardware costs to be less than today. Or even remotely comparable either.

When the total cost for a 'real' network is in the thousands, spending a few hundred more to be at, or greater, than the level above isn't futureproofing, it is simply being wise with your money. The network isn't a one-time investment. It is an ongoing concern. And it should be budgeted accordingly.
Not all UniFi products require a cloud to work, it has the possibility to manage it through cloud though.
The security issues I have found have been patched, could of course have missed something.

The wiring is build in the walls when we bought the house. Did not have much of a choice of selecting wires, re-wire now is not an option.

About hardware I fully agree with you. I rather put in some extra $$ then being cheap and not be satisfied.
But do you have any concrete suggestions on a wired router that might work good? Prefably not costing a fortune ( something within 100-300$ range)

If it can be managed through the cloud, the security isn't fixed.

Test and verify the existing wires (a professional is indicated here) before investing in future possible hair-pulling sessions with unknown (to you) hardware. Better to know where the wiring performance is right now, rather than hoping it is dependable at all.

I see no reason (in this thread here) to not use the router I already suggested (RT-AX88U Pro). Which can be reused in the future (wirelessly) as needed also. I know that it has the hardware needed for what it offers. And, it has many options via amtm/scripts too (and also VLAN support coming with the 3.0.0.6.xxx firmware base (soon?)).

If you need more than that, I would not be looking at the companies you're deciding between now. Cisco, Aruba is the next step up, IMO. But of course, your budget needs to increase substantially for those premium offerings.

Have looked at
You can also look at Tp-Link, e.g. ER605 or ER707-M2.
not to mention the security issues they have
Can you give examples of specific security issues?
Buy the most powerful hardware you can afford.
When in 10 years you start to wonder if you need this "most powerful hardware", you will find out that hardware is obsolete and needs to be replaced.
I know that it has the hardware needed for what it offers.
;)

If you're paying attention to what I usually recommend, I don't mean to mortgage your home to 'get the most powerful hardware you can afford'. I mean to buy the most bang-for-the-buck models available today.

For many of the people in these forums, using the same hardware for 10 years is not an option. But, having the best hardware at the lowest price means that you can usually re-use it, sell it, or donate it and it will still be useful for others not at our level/expectations for our networks.

The hardware the RT-AX88U Pro has is more than sufficient for the capabilities of the features/options and scripts it has available (at least today).

The 'gotcha' isn't on the RT-AX88U Pro. It is on the other products the OP is considering. Marketing, at its finest, of course.

You have to read my posts in the context (and order) of what I'm replying to. It is disingenuous to simply quote me (out of order and without context) to make a silly point that isn't valid in the least.

Seriously?
I was counting on some existing security bugs in the routers we are discussing, I didn't think you wanted to bid on "news headlines".Ok, don't use Asus devices, they are absolutely dangerous:
The hardware the RT-AX88U Pro has is more than sufficient for the capabilities of the features/options and scripts it has available (at least today).

The 'gotcha' isn't on the RT-AX88U Pro. It is on the other products the OP is considering. Marketing, at its finest, of course.

You have to read my posts in the context (and order) of what I'm replying to. It is disingenuous to simply quote me (out of order and without context) to make a silly point that isn't valid in the least.
Seriously?
Will we still get 2.5 GbE speeds if we enable all TrendMicro features? Will we get at least 1 GbE?
When we enable QoS, what speed will we get? 400 Mbps? 500Mbps? Because it's definitely not 2.5 GbE or even 1 GbE.
The same when we enable Bandwidth Limiter. True?
What speed can we get via VPN (server or client)?
e.t.c.
Hint: Look for info about Runner, Flow Cache, hardware NAT acceleration...

Overall, for 1Gbps speeds and basic features, RT-AX88U Pro ($250) is as good as ER-X, hEX, or ER605 ($50). Additionally, the $50 ones have full support for VLAN etc.

Prefably not costing a fortune ( something within 100-300$ range)

TP-Link have a new Omada integrated router, but with own GUI for stand alone mode.

Fast ARM CPU with 1GB RAM, 2x 2.5GbE ports and 4x Gigabit ports + USB.

The model is ER707-M2, price around $200. Check if available around you.

Product information here:

GUI emulator here:

It has easy to understand almost consumer-like GUI. Native VLAN support and configuration in GUI.

For $300 or a little above you better look for x86 appliance running pfSense/OPNsense.

Skip consumer products. The firmware is working just enough to sell the product and then you are used as beta tester. About 2 years after you purchase the product it may start working properly or it will end up on End-Of-Life list. You'll get mostly Asus/Netgear consumer products recommendations on this forum.

Edit: corrected error

Last edited:
Have a UniFi AP6 Long Range access point

What about this?

Fast router + Cloud Key controller + another UniFi AP + 2x PoE ports.

Complete UniFi compact system. You can add your AP6 RL to it and done.

Thanks for all of the tips and insights from everyone. Even though i might not agree with all, i still appreciate the time you have spent giving me your input!

The Links to the potential security issues for UniFi are old and patched. Also they are only set as problematic, and needs access to the local Lan to be able to exploit. Could be that there are new ones, but thats the case of many other products as well,
at this time im leaning towards a UniFi Gateway Light . It gets great performance with security measures enabled. Its not Full Duplex, but i probably wont need that anyway.

Last edited:
See UniFi Express. It's the same price, but comes with Cloud Key built-in.

+1 ... the Lite is not intended as a complete solution by itself. While I think it can be managed with their phone app, there's a lot of limitations in what you can do.

I am planning 3x UniFi Express units myself for a new Wi-Fi project in EU. They will be in wired configuration. Performance results after July this year.

Your lack of basic communication skills is sad. Go attempt to find another person to taunt.
In general, when replying, please quote at least part of the OP's post that you are replying to. Posts don't always appear in sequence.

That said, the part of your post quoted above is both unkind and making an assumption about the OP's intent.

Adjust your attitude and refrain from personal attacks or you'll get a timeout.