What's new

Dual WAN - wrong ip for secondary wan

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stylish_me

Regular Contributor
Hello. I've got a question.
I use dual wan - my providers' internet as primary and usb modem as secondary in case of problems on provider's side.
My ISP gave me fixed ip, mask, dns and so on to connect to internet. Everything works ok untill primary wan is down. As soon as it gets down - my n66 tries to give the same ip, dns and so on to my usb modem's connection. And it brings a lot of problems.
So to summ up. Secondary wan tries to use ip and dns from primary wan settings and there is no option to give secondary wan its own ip and dns.
How can i fix this? Thanx!

How is it connected with the fact that usb secondary wan has no settings for ip, dns and so on? There are no fields to fill in in USB modem page.

I do not use Dual Wan with a USB modem, but in general, if a new firmware is using (erroneously) fields from the previous firmware that was installed, it could result in missing fields like you're seeing.

Resetting to factory defaults allows the router to use the new firmware's capabilities as they were programmed. Not doing so gives a chance for some settings to be corrupted and will result in unexplainable glitches and bugs that may be random in nature and effectively impossible to squash.

You may also want to try using a different browser too beforehand (and clear it's cache too, if needed).

I do not use Dual Wan with a USB modem, but in general, if a new firmware is using (erroneously) fields from the previous firmware that was installed, it could result in missing fields like you're seeing.

Resetting to factory defaults allows the router to use the new firmware's capabilities as they were programmed. Not doing so gives a chance for some settings to be corrupted and will result in unexplainable glitches and bugs that may be random in nature and effectively impossible to squash.

You may also want to try using a different browser too beforehand (and clear it's cache too, if needed).

Thanks for your reply but fields are missing not because of some update problems but because Asus didn't think about it. Neither did Merlin. Anyone of them should add such fields in future updates..

Thanks for your reply but fields are missing not because of some update problems but because Asus didn't think about it. Neither did Merlin. Anyone of them should add such fields in future updates..

That we don't know for sure if you won't do a reset to factory defaults, right?

RMerlin doesn't fix those kind of issues. See his firmware's intent on the first post of the following link.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-custom-firmware-for-asus-routers.7846/

The primary goals of this project are to fix bugs, add a few basic features and tweaks to the original firmware. This firmware will try to remain as close as possible to the original firmware.

That we don't know for sure if you won't do a reset to factory defaults, right?
No. I've got the same bug on all my routers supporting Merlin firmware. And i did factory reset and even 30-30-30 on all of them.

30-30-30 'reset' doesn't work on Asus products. ;)

30-30-30 'reset' doesn't work on Asus products. ;)

Who said that??

The 30-30-30 method is a generic method used by DD-WRT users which works on almost every router. It's usually not required on most routers, but they are recommending the lowest common denominator that will work for most of them rather than recommending 10+ different reset methods.

The RT-N66U doesn't require that kind of thing when you are using its original firmware. At worst, you can wipe its settings using the reset button, the recovery mode mini webui, or the above method over telnet.

Who said that??

You are not reading that correctly. RMerlin doesn't write DD-WRT code. ;)

He actually states that 30-30-30 is a DD-WRTism. And has categorically stated that it doesn't work on Asus routers.

You are not reading that correctly. RMerlin doesn't write DD-WRT code. ;)
He actually states that 30-30-30 is a DD-WRTism. And has categorically stated that it doesn't work on Asus routers.

Do you see any difference between
doesn't work on Asus products.
and
works on almost every router. the lowest common denominator

Or may be between
doesn't work on Asus routers.
and
RT-N66U doesn't require that kind of thing

I'm sure you have your own truth but plz don't think that all other users are noobs. Or may be you can use google to see how many people sucessfully use this method.

Do you see any difference between

and
works on almost every router. the lowest common denominator

Or may be between

and
RT-N66U doesn't require that kind of thing

I'm sure you have your own truth but plz don't think that all other users are noobs. Or may be you can use google to see how many people sucessfully use this method.

You are wrong.

Use google to search for the terms here and RMerlin on this site and you'll see for yourself.

I'm trying to help here with the 'truth'. You do not seem to want to accept it though.

On Asus routers, pressing the reset button at power on time will put it into Firmware Recovery mode rather than do a factory default reset. That's not the intended goal here.

The 30-30-30 reset button dance should not be used on an Asus router. Just turn it on while pressing the WPS button for about 5 seconds, and you're done.