What's new

EA-N66 as Ethernet adapter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smlunatick

Occasional Visitor
I've been trying a Asus EA-N66 adapter as a Ethernet based access to an AP that is not directly on the Internet. The AP working correct directly but no traffic can go out to the Internet via the EA-N66. The first thing I did was to update the firmware to 1.0.1.7d.

What am I doing wrong?

I've been trying a Asus EA-N66 adapter as a Ethernet based access to an AP that is not directly on the Internet. The AP working correct directly but no traffic can go out to the Internet via the EA-N66. The first thing I did was to update the firmware to 1.0.1.7d.

What am I doing wrong?

You'll need to provide a bit more detail about your setup, I think.

Internet access server is providing DHCP IP addresses over the the network. A standard Access Point is providing 2.4GHz wifi networking. I was interested in the EA-N66 because of the 3 in 1 functionality. When in Ethernet adapter modem, the "original" DHCP "service" is not available. Also the internal DHCP seems to be stuck to '10.0.1.xxx" sub-net, which can cause conflict when the EA-N66 is permanently installed onto it's "destined" network.

I will be returning it.

Thanks to everyone who viewed this post and any replies. I believe that I just found my first Asus device that is a "dud" for me.

"Fascinating Outfit"
Asus marketing never disappoints.

What do you mean by Internet access server?

You need an router that has an Internet connection. This router needs to hand out IPs to clients on your network. These clients need to get those IPs from the router and not a secondary DHCP server (disable the one on the EA-N66).

There are other ways of getting connectivity, but this is the simplest.

Internet access server is a specialized PC that acts like a firewall / email server with 2 network adapters. This has been working for "ages" and sends out IP addresses to any adapter that issues a DHCP request. I've added a AP so as to offer 2.4Ghz wifi networking. Most wireless "wifi" "clients" get an IP from the "original" DHCP service (access server) but not the EA-N66. Seems to only connect to the original network (192.168.254.xxx) with a static assigned IP address but gets a DHCP IP address from it's internal 10.0.1.xxx DHCP. The 10.0.1.xxx addresses are seen correctly from the 192.168.254.xxx network. This is indicating the EA-N66 is working as a router.

Internet access server is providing DHCP IP addresses over the the network. A standard Access Point is providing 2.4GHz wifi networking. I was interested in the EA-N66 because of the 3 in 1 functionality. When in Ethernet adapter modem, the "original" DHCP "service" is not available. Also the internal DHCP seems to be stuck to '10.0.1.xxx" sub-net, which can cause conflict when the EA-N66 is permanently installed onto it's "destined" network.

That's not by design. Try releasing and renewing your DHCP address. The 10.0.1.xxx network starts up until the EA-N66 can establish a wireless connection (so that you can configure it). After the wireless connection is established, you should get pass-through leases (it should be transparent). So, if your client PC still has a 10.0.1.xxx address, the EA-N66 either has been unable to connect to the wireless network, or your PC still has the old lease which release/renew will fix. (ipconfig /release; ipconfig /renew)

It can be a tad bit difficult to configure the EA-N66, because it operates over the network instead of USB, but I like the flexibility.

I returned it to the local store. At $100 for an "adapter" that was not working as expected, I was not willing to waste my money. I have another 6 in 1 wireless broadband device that I use with my tablet. It just a 150Mbps device and works, when necessary, for giving wifi to my tablet. It cost a lot less than the EA-N66.

I was somewhat able to use the EA-N66 with my original network. I used static IP for the laptop I was using for the test. It never was getting the DHCP request through to the original server.