What's new

EA-N66 - Static IP as repeater

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pericynthion

Question for the N66 team - am I missing something, but I can't see how to apply a static IP address when using the N66 as a repeater.

It get a DHCP lease fine, but every 24hrs when it re-applies it I get 'network link down' messages from the MyBook Live connected to wireless bridge.

I've tracked it over a week and it exactly coincides with the DHCP address appearing in the log. I've updated to the latest 1018f, but I still cant see how to apply a static IP address.

Any ideas?

You should be able to create a static IP by logging into the device and going to LAN, then LAN IP. Change it from automatic to manual.

Thats what I thought, but the only menu option under 'LAN' is the new DHCP override option. In fact from memory, the LAN option wasnt even visible under the previous firmware.

9317076590_1cdf4e085b.jpg

I just re-ran the setup for the extender after a reset, it detects the SSID, I connect and then thats it. No other options - although looking at the manual that option should exist for AP and Adapter modes, but I can't find any reference to being in repeater mode.

Last edited:
I have firmware update "g" and this minimal admin page for the "LAN" section is still the same. They definitely changed something from the version in the published manual. It's as if in their rush to push out the DHCP Override button they hid all the other features accidentally - or maybe, they don't want us messing with these settings anymore. >_>

I scoured the web for some info and ended up here.

When I upgraded from the stock firmware, I suffered from a ton of weird disconnects and such oddball behavior as duplicate MAC addresses back on the parent router this device was connected downstream from. I had the EA-N66 being listed as many as 3 times in the "attached devices" list, as well as incorrect SSID values for its MAC address. Not to mention lots of IP address conflicts.

I immediately disabled the DHCP Override, but that didn't fix the problems aside from less IP conflicts. I still see dupes in the "ARP" list (I tried this from DOS as well). It's as if most everything connected to the extender is being interpreted as this device, rather than itself. If only once device is connected, it can stabilize after enough time, seemingly - ie, I will eventually get a correct MAC address & IP in the table. But as traffic increases, so does the weird behavior and the stability tanks.

I can't imagine this new DHCP Override being a useful "default" setting... why would you ever want more than one DHCP server? As it is, there's a discovery utility from Asus that can find the dynamic IP address of the EA-N66, and it shows up anyway in the "attached devices" list of its parent router. So it seems like a totally pointless setting.

At this point I am strongly considering going back to the 1017 firmware, which at least let me set a static IP - an while the extender was less stable in general, I didn't have this madness with the MAC addresses.

Last edited:
Well I was hoping the latest 'g' firmware would fix this but unfortunately not.

Every 12 hours I get;

Aug 21 04:44:52 dhcp client: apply() IP : 192.168.115.6 from 255.255.255.0

And the wireless bridge connected to the EA-N66 in repeater mode reports a link-down.

Any one got any clever ideas how to punch in a static address (or if anyone from ASUS is reading this, can you add to the next firmware please)

ASUS EA-N66 Version 1.0.1.8g firmware

I have an EA-N66 and it's working fine as an access mode Ethernet bridge, but that allows for a static IP address and DHCP disabled.

When I set the EA-N66 up in "Repeater Mode" on my Linksys E4200v1 with Tomato firmware, it's dynamic IP or nothing.

I saw no way of assigning static IP addresses as the bridge group seem to be bound on one "Dynamic" MAC address with all IP addresses bound to it.

I just reverted my EA-N66 back to an Ethernet "Access Point Mode" and use my Linksys RE1000 as a WiFi range extender if needed.

At least with the Linksys RE1000 all client devices have a unique LAN MAC address which is built from the RE1000 OUI and then the remaining octets of the client device.

It's like the ASUS EA-N66 failed on Ethernet LAN addressing 101, unless there is some information we don't know about.

My findings mirror those of DuchessOfKvetch posted above where the more devices I connect through the EA-N66 range extender, the greater the conflict and dropouts. It works well with one device!!!!!!

Note - The 'setup' default IP address of the EA-N66 is 10.0.1.1 and not 10.0.0.1 as listed on the bottom of the EA-N66 unit.

Last edited: