What's new

edit /etc/hosts to supercede DNS lookups

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jcy

Occasional Visitor
Hi, is it possible to have entries in /etc/hosts that override any DNS lookups from client machines?

So for client machines which try to resolve ad.doubleclick.net, if i edit /etc/hosts on my RT-N66U with:

127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net

can i effectively block that server from my network?

Thanks,

jcy

Not with stock firmware. This file is dynamically recreated at boot time.

Hmmm... is it possible to edit etc/hosts, definately good news for me in that case? I have RT-N56U and cannot find the option anywhere, am I overlooking something (or is this a RT-N66U feature)?

Would be happy to edit /etc/hosts after each reboot since reboots on my router are very very far apart...

Hmmm... is it possible to edit etc/hosts, definately good news for me in that case? I have RT-N56U and cannot find the option anywhere, am I overlooking something (or is this a RT-N66U feature)?

Would be happy to edit /etc/hosts after each reboot since reboots on my router are very very far apart...

i did it through a shell login and edited the file with vi

i did it through a shell login and edited the file with vi

If you directly edit that file, all changes will be lost on the next router reboot.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!