What's new

Eero and MoCA

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

awraynor

Occasional Visitor
Eero seems to be providing a solid wireless signal in my home. Day to day however I'm not convinced that it's greatly different than my Asus Wireless AC Router. Ping times still in 30's or higher, page loads vary and PlayStation Vue still buffers (a lot).

I know a lot of variables here. One being Vue is going to buffer regardless. Going to Charter today to switch out modem to one that is less than 3 to 4 years old. Their chat says they don't get concerned until pings are 150-200 ms. They also said they keep upload speeds low for security purposes (groan). I've also switched to OpenDNS.

I'm a cord cutter and stream via Amazon FireTV boxes to 3 TV's. I'm looking to improve the quality and decrease the buffering of our PS Vue. Netflix does seem better than Vue. I'm looking for a MoCA adapter that doesn't require a MoCA compatible router. I use Eero and it is not MoCA compliant. I've looked on the ActionTec site and the Eb6200 requires bonded MoCA 2.0 complaince.

I don't have cable through Charter so is the bonded requirement still an issue. If so would the EB6000 be an option? The ActionTec site isn't particularly helpful.

If the EB6200 is a lot better than the 6000 I would consider selling Eero and getting the Ubiquiti Amplifi HD which is MoCA compatible.

Sorry for the long post, but do appreciate the help. Wife glad to be a cord cutter, but the Vue buffering is quite annoying at times.

Couple of quick things to try - use the operators DNS settings for a day to see if the VUE is still buffering, as OpenDNS can confuse some Content Delivery Network endpoints and you'll have a sub-optimal user experience...

Before going down the MOCA path, try a couple of HomePlug AV units - most retailers will take them on return (just tell them it's a wiring problem in the house...)

As for MOCA - just need two adapters - and a splitter (high quality) along with one additional RG6/RG58... don't need a MOCA compliant router - remember MOCA is a layer 2 bridge, and you're still on private IP space, so it should work fine...

Code:
Demarc -------- splitter ------- modem ------ router (eero or whatever)
                   |                             \-- connect CAT5 from LAN port to MOCA1
                 MOCA1 ------------- MOCA2

Thanks. The literature for the 6200 specifically mentions a compliant router's being required so I was getting confused. Emailed Actiontec and no answer yet.

You only need to have a compliant router if you are trying to use the router as a MOCA endpoint. I use MOCA in my house and just use a MOCA adapter on each end. That way I don't have to worry with compliant routers and such (but of course this means purchasing two adapters).

So in that case I'll look at the 6200. Only a little more for their fastest adapter. Thanks a lot. Their site wasn't a lot of help.

Thanks. The literature for the 6200 specifically mentions a compliant router's being required so I was getting confused. Emailed Actiontec and no answer yet.

MOCA can work with certain Gateways - most of these are Operator provided gateways to support multiple plays - e.g. Broadband/TV/Dialtone as an example - and many of those Residential Gateways will do some level of MOCA...

As @abailey mentioned - as long as you have two MOCA's, they'll find each other and create the L2 bridge...

(and some operators do a MOCA like thing - a good example here is DirecTV with their DECA's, which pushes IP over Coax for connectivity on their platform - the remote client STB's are doing IPTV with their current in-house platform)

As for MOCA - just need two adapters - and a splitter (high quality) along with one additional RG6/RG58... don't need a MOCA compliant router - remember MOCA is a layer 2 bridge, and you're still on private IP space, so it should work fine...

Code:
Demarc -------- splitter ------- modem ------ router (eero or whatever)
| \-- connect CAT5 from LAN port to MOCA1
MOCA1 ------------- MOCA2

And FWIW - if there is a concern, one can put in a MOCA filter between the splitter and Demarc to keep MOCA inside the site - which is a legitimate concern...

Thanks for all the great information. Just replaced my original Charter with a new model provided by Charter. It killed my Eero and Windows wouldn't connect. Went to Best Buy and just bought a new Arris SB1690 and things improved including ping.

Tried Flirc and a Harmony 650, an uncomfortable remote. Instead got a Harmony Smart Control Remote. I assume the Companion is just a newer model of it. Saved $50 as I only control the FireTV, TV and Sound Bar. Didn't need an expensive one. Setting it up was so much easier via the phone app. Nice using one remote vs. 3 remotes.

I'll give it a little bit and then consider the MoCA adapters if buffering continues. I've read a lot of comments about Vue buffering from their end so hesitant to rush to the adapters. However, will likely get them anyway so I can make everything as good as it can be. Boy I miss my last house that was hired wired with Cat5.

I'm looking to improve the quality and decrease the buffering of our PS Vue. Netflix does seem better than Vue.

Quick question - what platform are you running Vue on - the FireTV?

Checked with my kid (he's a big boy and lives on his own), and he's got Vue on PS4, and on a basic cable connection (5/1, the very basic package that CoxHSI offers), and there no buffering with a 2.4GHz 802.11n WiFi connection (he's using their provided CPE, which is a Netgear CM/Router/AP gateway thing)...

Quick question - what platform are you running Vue on - the FireTV?

Checked with my kid (he's a big boy and lives on his own), and he's got Vue on PS4, and on a basic cable connection (5/1, the very basic package that CoxHSI offers), and there no buffering with a 2.4GHz 802.11n WiFi connection (he's using their provided CPE, which is a Netgear CM/Router/AP gateway thing)...

Yes, the Fire TV. I have 60 and 4. Wireless AC with Eero. Live shows seem to do better. Fairly frequent buffering on Cloud DVR or On Demand shows. We tried Sling TV after cutting cable and it was miserable. Although frustrating, we're not going back to cable.

Netflix, YouTube and Amazon Video do pretty good. Felt problems may be more related to Vue?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!