What's new

Email on Guest WiFi use

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JoesRevenge

Occasional Visitor
Firstly a big thank-you to Merlin for his great firmware - he's the reason I've bought a second Asus router!

I'd like to be able to send an e-mail to myself when someone logs into my Guest WiFi account. I'm currently leaving the guest WiFi SSID completely open (not too many close neighbors around here), but I'd still like to know when someone logs into it.

I've got e-mail working from the router (thanks to https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Sending-Email) but I haven't been able to find any log files (other than /jffs/syslog.log) that contain anything meaningful for wifi.

Anyone have any ideas on where to start looking for this data?

Thanks,
Joe

Already an old question but did anyone get this to work?

I can see the Guest usage while they are logged in (and by looking into the DHCP lease if I see unknown host names) but a quick mail with some details like IP, MAC, Host would be helpful to monitor my open Guest net.

Thanks!

Thank you both for the comments!

I've taken a look and started to adjust the file to match my smtp user, added my own email in de script and then I figured I had to use SSH or Telnet to get them to the router. Instead of that I backed up the whole jffs partitin via the System backup and restore, added the files to the .tar archive and restored the whole partition... Also activated the scripts via "Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs" but than I figured that a few more steps are needed;
  1. Probably the task should be scheduled to run every 10 minutes or so?
  2. Maybe something with the file permissions needs to be done to enable executing of the file?
  3. This monitors the 2 Wifi interfaces (2.4 and 5 Ghz) but I actually only need to monitor the Guest network. I guess that has something to do with Vlans or so?
Sorry, I pretty new in this and tying to find my way around with some help on the forum and a lot of google... So any help is welcome!