What's new

Enable Router Advertisement with giving out DHCP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

squeakz

New Around Here
Is there a way we can enable the Router Advertisement without giving out DHCP IPV6 addresses to the clients? I have a separate DHCP server for giving out IPV4 & IPV6.

I think this is a IPV6 question but IPV4 was also listed. Clients will find the router through the default gateway. I assume the DHCP server is handing out a default gateway IP address and your router is the default gateway to the internet. If not then this is why routing protocols exist to pass information from router to router so clients can access resources off other routers.

This is for setup of IPV6, I don't want the router to give out IP addresses, I have a separate server for that. I just want the router to give out the gateway through radvd.

This is for setup of IPV6, I don't want the router to give out IP addresses, I have a separate server for that. I just want the router to give out the gateway through radvd.

Why not give out the gateway address via the DHCP server like is normally done?
--bill

radvd doesn't give out addresses. It just advertises the subnet prefix and clients use SLAAC to configure their own addresses. The dhcp6 server, such as it is, only appears to be used to broadcast IPv6 DNS servers to clients. radvd also does this in it's router advertisements, so I'm not sure the reason for the redundancy.

To answer your original question. Yes, if you enable JFFS, you can override the radvd.conf by making your own at /jffs/configs/radvd.conf (See the wiki for info). You will have to look up how to disable prefix advertisement, though.

You want to configure radvd to set the managed and otherconfig flags to yes and for your local prefix to set the advautonomous and routeaddr to off like so:

interface em1
{
AdvSendAdvert on;
MinRtrAdvInterval 30;
MaxRtrAdvInterval 100;
AdvManagedFlag on;
AdvOtherConfigFlag on;
prefix XXXXXXXXX::/64
{
AdvOnLink on;
AdvAutonomous off;
AdvRouterAddr off;
};
};

This will ensure that you only get the prefix from radvd and the address/configuration from dhcpv6.

That worked for me. Thanks!

Just one other question, is there a way to change the gateway to show the global address instead of the local-link address?

That worked for me. Thanks!

Just one other question, is there a way to change the gateway to show the global address instead of the local-link address?
I don't think the router ever stores the global gateway address. Everything I saw when I was going through the IPv6 code, it always looked for the link-local gateway address.