What's new

Enable Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mat77

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I use Padavan´s custom Firmware and in the lan MENUE there is an option to enable or disable STP.

Do I need it if I have on WLAN Repeater?

I ask because I read two things:

"Users of Comcast Cable should always disable this option and leave it disabled, as STP conflicts with the routers DHCP client for the WAN connection"

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Spanning_Tree_Protocol

and in the German Wikipedia is: all two seconds there are Multicast packets exchanged and may heavy load your Router.

Can someone tell me if I need it or not? I don´t understand the description well enough.

I have a ASUS Router connected to Motorola Modem. On the Router there are lan clients (PC´s and xbox) and I have on Fritz WLAN Repeater for better access.

Hi,

I use Padavan´s custom Firmware and in the lan MENUE there is an option to enable or disable STP.

Do I need it if I have on WLAN Repeater?

I ask because I read two things:

"Users of Comcast Cable should always disable this option and leave it disabled, as STP conflicts with the routers DHCP client for the WAN connection"

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Spanning_Tree_Protocol

and in the German Wikipedia is: all two seconds there are Multicast packets exchanged and may heavy load your Router.

Can someone tell me if I need it or not? I don´t understand the description well enough.

I have a ASUS Router connected to Motorola Modem. On the Router there are lan clients (PC´s and xbox) and I have on Fritz WLAN Repeater for better access.

In an production/office/business Network, STP is enabled by default, especially on Cisco switches. Is your Network involved with the Above? If not, you should not be in a position to utilize STP.

In an production/office/business Network, STP is enabled by default, especially on Cisco switches. Is your Network involved with the Above? If not, you should not be in a position to utilize STP.
thank you for your answer I have disabled it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!