What's new

Enabling Link Aggregation via NVRAM?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JDB

Very Senior Member
Hi,

So I have a new NAS coming which will be connected to an AiMesh Node (RT-AC5300). Also directly connected to the same node are the devices most commonly using the NAS.

As such, it would be nice to enable the Link Aggregation between the NAS and AiMesh Node.

Problem is the AiMesh Node allows no Web GUI interaction so I can't enable it. I do have SSH access to the Node though so was hoping to be able to set an NVRAM value (on the basis that the Web GUI must do similar?) to enable it.

Anyone know if this is indeed possible?!

Otherwise, I have this option https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Link-Aggregation - which I could drive from my @RMerlin AC88U which would have to SSH to the Node periodically, check if the bond exists, and if not remotely execute the scripts etc... Though this approach is obviously not favoured!

Many Thanks in advance :)

So I managed to work this out;

nvram set lacp=1
nvram set lacp_enabled=1
nvram set lacpdebug=0
nvram set lacpdev=vlan1
nvram set lacpmode=1
nvram set lacpports="1 2"
nvram commit
reboot

It should work the same on the RT-AC88U, just change this one line due to the different internal port mapping;
nvram set lacpports="2 3"

For the record...

Enabling Link Aggregation on a RT-AX88U:

nvram set lacp=1
nvram set lacp_enabled=1
nvram set lacpdebug=0
nvram set lacpdev=bond0
nvram set lacpmode=1
nvram set lacpports="3 4"
nvram commit
reboot

Hi,

So I have a new NAS coming which will be connected to an AiMesh Node (RT-AC5300). Also directly connected to the same node are the devices most commonly using the NAS.

As such, it would be nice to enable the Link Aggregation between the NAS and AiMesh Node.

Problem is the AiMesh Node allows no Web GUI interaction so I can't enable it. I do have SSH access to the Node though so was hoping to be able to set an NVRAM value (on the basis that the Web GUI must do similar?) to enable it.

Anyone know if this is indeed possible?!

Otherwise, I have this option https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Link-Aggregation - which I could drive from my @RMerlin AC88U which would have to SSH to the Node periodically, check if the bond exists, and if not remotely execute the scripts etc... Though this approach is obviously not favoured!

Many Thanks in advance :)
JDB, How did you manage to connect directly to the AiMesh node via SSH?

JDB, How did you manage to connect directly to the AiMesh node via SSH?
If you enable SSH on the main router it also enables it on the nodes. Then you just SSH to the node using the same login credentials as you do on the main router.

Hi All,

Thanks for sharing this info

Can anyone confirm what ports to set on a RT-AX86U or where to find the internal port mapping numbering for this router?

nvram set lacpports="x x" ?

Hi All,

Thanks for sharing this info

Can anyone confirm what ports to set on a RT-AX86U or where to find the internal port mapping numbering for this router?

nvram set lacpports="x x" ?
You probably figured this out already but if not, the ethX number mapping vs. LANx-enclosure print is as per diagram of the AX86U attached

Attachments

• AX86U_WAN_LinkAggregation_Mode0_Possible_question-1.pdf
    453.8 KB · Views: 158
You probably figured this out already but if not, the ethX number mapping vs. LANx-enclosure print is as per diagram of the AX86U attached
Thank you mate, no I never got it sorted and just finding time to get back to it now..
Actually doing this to connect to a Synology too

appreciate the input on an old post!