What's new

Enabling SQM only on Asymmetrical Connection (1150/40) via AX86U Pro (3004.388.4)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tenturo

New Around Here
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for suggestion/help on how to use SCM via my AX86U Pro with Merlin installed, but only on my upload. I have tried FlexQOS, Cake, Adaptive, etc as I'm experiencing buffer bloat due to my terrible upload. The issue however is while Flex and Cake do help lower my upload latency (via waveform bufferbloat test and in game ping being lowered as well) it absolutely nukes my download as expected since the CPU cannot handle a full gigabit saturation (940mbps) and hits 99% usage. So I'm SOL for when I want to download a game off Steam, large files from work I do routinely, etc. This is confirmed when I do waveform as my loaded download latency goes from 8-15ms all the way up to 55+. I know online gaming is not fully saturating the gig connection. Repeated testing of waveform shows with no QoS on my download latency is 8-15ms on average which is great, but then upload hits as high as 125ms. However, if I use adaptive QoS (this has shown the best result so far is why) it does lower upload latency to the range of 18-30ms as desired, but then my download latency is penalized to 55ms+ as notated before. I've tried setting the download bandwidth limit to 0mb/s, and then 999999 so in theory infinite, but it limits the download all the same and maxes out my cpu usage. And without those QoS services CPU hits 60-65% usage max when fully saturating the download stream via something like Steam for a game download, or the large files I download for work daily. Is there way to shape only upload using merlin? I know waveform will create unrealistic scenarios that will cause bufferbloat, but it does correlate as my in game ping is higher with no QoS on. I would like to have SCM on upload, and then nothing on my download for the times I want the full bandwidth.

I'm looking for suggestion/help on how to use SCM via my AX86U
You can't. The router's CPU is not powerful enough to handle that on a 1 Gbps link.

You can't. The router's CPU is not powerful enough to handle that on a 1 Gbps link.
That part I understand, but I was wondering if it's possible to enable SCM only on upload and not for download. As when it handles download bandwidth without SCM on it only loads 65% at most.

Daft question, but just how terrible is your upload speed?

That part I understand, but I was wondering if it's possible to enable SCM only on upload and not for download. As when it handles download bandwidth without SCM on it only loads 65% at most.
You can't split them.

For SQM to work, you have to disable NAT acceleration, so that Cake can get full access to the flows. It's that NAT acceleration disabling that will kill the throughput, not Cake itself.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!