What's new

EnGenius ESR300H 200mW XtraRange

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bigben

Occasional Visitor
What about this one? Available since a short while. Found no reviews so far. Any experiences yet? (keenanj?)
Not too bad priced at $50. Seems attractive if it has a decent coverage/throughput ratio.

In short:
RTL8196C SoC + 8192CE radio (as found in EnGenius EAP300), 32MB RAM.
1x WAN, 4x 100Mbps LAN
Two external 2dBi antennas (although according to this document it was expected to have two 4 dBi PIFA antennas built-in)

More:
Engenius US
Engenius Singapore
FCC docs

Attachments

• RTL8196C.jpg
    RTL8196C.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 301
  • RTL8192CE.jpg
    RTL8192CE.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 421
David, I will be bringing these in and testing this month. I think they will be the new long range goto router.

The esr9850 is still the best engenius router with all gigabit ports. Wired speed is most important to my customers because they usually disable the wireless on the router and use access points.

But for small / home networks the ESR300H should be a great unit with long range and high speed.

I currently have the ESR9850 and while I have had zero problems with it over the years, I've recently added an Epson Workforce 845 all-in-one to my wireless network, as well as a Samsung LED TV and blu-ray which also have to share bandwidth with my phone and laptop.

Soo.... I'll be buying a new router in the coming weeks but unfortunately the ERS300H will not be my choice. The lack of gigabit and multiple wifi bands makes it a non-starter for me.

But! I noticed an article on the homepage talking about the ESR300H... and it's two big brothers coming in Q1 2012. They are the ESR600H and ESR750H, and they both come with gigabit and as you can guess from the model number... two or three additional wifi bands as well as USB.

As long as they are a quality product like my ESR9850, I'll buy one for certain.

I noticed an article on the homepage talking about the ESR300H... and it's two big brothers coming in Q1 2012. They are the ESR600H and ESR750H, and they both come with gigabit and as you can guess from the model number... two or three additional wifi bands as well as USB.
Are you referring to two or three radios/antennas used rather than more than one 2.4 GHz and one 5 GHz bands in the same (dualband) wireless router?

I have this one and it's not what I would consider Stella in performance. The dual ANT is only 2dbi and when I add TPLINK 5dbi ANT SNA to it does boost the signal though to steady, but it soon drops out. It does over heat and the GUI is not the greatest. With my new service and location I can't get it to work as a main router it will not handshake with my COMCAST Modem. I had to rig it up as AP. Testing it with two Android Tablets. Just a few days ago it had to got so hot and you know what that means.

Even my E4200 with two RE1000 work hard but I don't have to worry about them.

My two ESR9850 both failed on me big time. WAN ports had gone duff on both of them. There is no doubt about it you do need 10/100/1000 ports coming up short with 10/100 ports just can't work since really those are 6/60 ports.

Last edited:
What are 6/60 ports?

Real measurement of the 10/100 is really 6 mbps/60mbps which I should have said. Not ports but the megabits per second.

for most home users the gigabit ports are not really needed / used. With Internet connections averaging 25Mbps a 100Mbps WAN port is really fine.

Most non technical people I know go all wireless so the ESR300H will be able to give them a long range 300Mbps / 140Mbps raw connection between wireless devices.

now for the techincal people reading this forum the esr9850 will still be the best fast stable and all gigabit ports. if you need more range add a high power AP like the

800mW EAP350 with gigabit ethernet

http://www.keenansystems.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=343

These high power units also have good ears (receive sensitivity -90dBm) so they can hear a low power client further away through walls floors etc. The AP transmits back at high power enough to reach the clients weak radio.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!