What's new

ETA on reviewing the RT-AC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

umpqua5

New Around Here
Just curious if it's coming soon since Newegg and a few others now have it on sale.
I need a new router and have info on the R6300 and the RT-N66U, but wanted to see how this one compares since it's more future proof. And although I have no AC clients now, if they perform no worse than their N only cousins, I'd rather buy an AC router now for a few bucks more.
As usual I can't make a move until SNB tells me it's ok, so....hurry.

If you look at this thread here at SmallNetBuilder...

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7644&page=2

arogan did his own testing and saw much better results than that review. My guess is, that was done on the old firmware and as arogan noted, the reviewer mentioned there were many 2.4 networks in the area of testing.

Also, what I have personally noticed is, even on the latest firmware, the "Auto" channel setting does a very poor job of selecting a good channel. If I leave it on auto for 2.4, I get VERY poor thoughput results, but in checking the channels, I selected 6(high) and got excellent results.

So I think it's a combination of the old firmware for the testing, busy airwaves and poor "auto" channel selection in the firmware.

Last edited:
My local Fry's finally got it in stock so I grabbed one. I'm very happy with it, even though I have not messed much with settings aside from picking a channel and upgrading firmware. I can't compare it to the N66, but it is better than my old WNDR 3700, Netgear R6300, and Asus N56. I see almost no speed difference in wired vs wireless internet usage and finally get my full 30Mbps download speed on the laptop.
I don't move files around so I can't attest to those results, that's where SNB comes in.

If you look at this thread here at SmallNetBuilder...

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7644&page=2

arogan did his own testing and saw much better results than that review. My guess is, that was done on the old firmware and as arogan noted, the reviewer mentioned there were many 2.4 networks in the area of testing.

Also, what I have personally noticed is, even on the latest firmware, the "Auto" channel setting does a very poor job of selecting a good channel. If I leave it on auto for 2.4, I get VERY poor thoughput results, but in checking the channels, I selected 6(high) and got excellent results.

So I think it's a combination of the old firmware for the testing, busy airwaves and poor "auto" channel selection in the firmware.

Thanks! Yes, I was hoping it was a firmware or environment issue * and not the additional 802.11ac-related hardware and software interfering with 802.11n performance...

* Although they run all their tests in the same location and the day to day changes in the environment are hopefully not too significant, although who knows what else was in the airwaves that particular day in the test area and general vicinity over at cNet's offices ' lab).

Looking forward to Tim's review!

Good review Tim, thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!