What's new

Ethernet from your TV Outlet: NETGEAR MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

We have macs. It was plug and play. Just put a cheap 10/100 switch behind it if you have multiple devices on either end.

Just to give an update. I ran jperf across the MoCA adapters and using TCP and a TCP Window Size of 128 KBytes, I consistently get a throughput of about 90 Mbps - good enough.

Thanks again to Tim and the others who replied. I certainly learned a bit through this process.:)

First time poster, long time reader...

Question, why does this device require the TCP Window Size to be specified to reach maximum performance? I've been testing my setup and I'm getting 17 -25 Mbps on IPerf over MoCA. If I bump the TCP Window Size I can get 90+ Mbps. If I take the same notebook and plug it into a local network in my office IPerf shows 70+ Mbps with no TCP Window Size and no MoCA.

My media streamer (Xtreamer) does not streamer HD video over MoCA very well because of the limited default performance on MoCA with no TCP Window Size specified.

Any thoughts?

Thanks...

Ken

Help! Will my setup work?

Amateur here, so please be kind. : )

I'd like to run my setup by you guys, as you seem to know this product really well. I haven't purchased the adapter yet as not sure this will work.

We have Dish Network and I'm aware it doesn't officially work with the MOCA adapter. I don't think it will matter for us because we have dual coax running to our TV.

So my question is: Can I put this adapter on a dedicated coax line, then plug it -- as well as a Direct TV receiver -- into a cable splitter that is then plugged into my TV?

I'd also like to know if there are any issues with using a wireless broadband connection (directional antenna) rather than cable or DSL for high-speed internet.

Thanks for your input; I'd love to get the show on the road. : )

Poor network performance with Netgear MCAB1001 MoCA

Hello Tim and other MoCA gurus,
I have psted this on avsforum as well but I do not seem to get any response. So here is it goes again.

I just purchased Netgear MCAB1001 and connected two of my HTPC and the third one to the router. I was quite excited to achieve at least 50-60 mbps but I am not getting the expected bandwidth. What is weird is that I am getting different speeds between two computers in different directions.

I am using NetCPS.exe to measure the performance (RAM to RAM transfer of 100MB data). In the diagram below with MAINHTPC being the server and LAPTOP PC being the client (bottom if image: red/green arrows) I get 70-80 mbps. But in the reverse direction I only get 16 mbps. For the world of me I am not able to figure out what the issue is, or how to start debugging.

The network driver advance settings are all set to "auto detect".

Any thoughts?

Home Configuration Diagram.jpg

Are those the only two computers that you are having the problem with? If yes, start moving things around to isolate the problem component.

Basically, I am getting good bandwidth initiated from laptop to all the computers, but bad performance with any other combination or direction. I am wondering if it has to do with some compatibility issue with my router and the MoCA device.

Cheers. -Amitabh

Well, I'd first separate the Moca Adapters from the system and just connect them with a piece of coax and maybe a splitter to see if they work that way.

More MoCA testing but still low performance

Hi Tim,

Ok! So I did some more testing as per your recommendation over the weekend. I have two scenarios.
Scenation A: 2 laptops connected directly through a GiGE switch
Scenaion B: Laptops connected through just moca boxes and a splitter in between.

The bandwidth is still directional. If the performance testing client is the newer laptop then I get good bandwidth.

Also, with MoCA introduced into the system the bandwidth goes down by 3-4 times in both directions.

The network cards are intel 82566MM GiGE on the newer laptop (running Vista) and the older one has Intel Pro1000 PL running windows 7.

For the life of me I am notable to figure out why the speed is different in different direction. How do I debug this problem? I have swap the ethernet cables between MoCA's and then between laptops to make sure that the MoCA's are not the culprit.

Cheers. -Amitabh

Home Configuration Diagram Basic.jpg

Now you know that your problem isn't MoCA related.

Check for updated Ethernet drivers for both laptops. Also temporarily disable anti virus and software firewalls. Also run a ping in both directions and see if you have high packet loss or ping time.

Split a Kit?

If you (or anyone else) wants to split a two-MoCA kit (I need an third), let me know! I'd prefer a Netgear to match the pair I already have.

Thanks!

I need a 3rd one too! I would split a buy with you. PM me and reply to this post if still interested.

Deleted my original post. Just realized the MCA1001 is a bridge and uses no ip address when in bridge mode.

Last edited:
No Coax Connection

I just received my MCA1001 yesterday and was all excited to hook it up and give it a shot. Unfortunately after about an hour trying and another hour on the phone with customer support, I was told that it was not working and someone would give me a call back within 24 hours. The issue I have is that the Coax light never turns on on either adaptor even though the network light is on. I am currently running a motorla DSL modem which is bridged through a Linksys N router. I connected the MCA1001 to one of the port on my router and the coax from the MCA1001 to the wall…. Nothing happens…

Can someone please help me understand what is going on as Netgear customer support cannot help me.

I just received my MCA1001 yesterday and was all excited to hook it up and give it a shot. Unfortunately after about an hour trying and another hour on the phone with customer support, I was told that it was not working and someone would give me a call back within 24 hours. The issue I have is that the Coax light never turns on on either adaptor even though the network light is on. I am currently running a motorla DSL modem which is bridged through a Linksys N router. I connected the MCA1001 to one of the port on my router and the coax from the MCA1001 to the wall…. Nothing happens…

Can someone please help me understand what is going on as Netgear customer support cannot help me.
You don't get a Coax light until the two adapters make a connection through the coax.

To see if your adapters are ok, connect the two adapters back to back with a short piece of coax, plug one into your router and a computer into the other and see if you can access your network / Internet.

The article mentions getting the MCA1001 to work with Satellite TV was an option. Could someone point me to a description on how this can be done.

Thanks,

These things are still around...

Ran into this the other day, it immediately appealed to me to use the double-shielded RG-6 in my walls for my home networking. I already had a desktop in a bedroom that was connecting via wireless-n, and then I got a Roku box near my TV, and that was running marginally okay with 5.4GHz. wireless-n. But then I ran into these "media on coax" adapters on the internet, and decided to try them for my Roku box after reading the review here. They installed easily, worked great the first time out of the box, no configuration.

I measured the throughput (very roughly) by connecting a laptop to the TV end, and transferring a large file, about 8GB, from my desktop to the laptop. Came out to about 85Mb/s, I watched the transfer and the transfer rate looked very steady at that rate. It started a little faster, then leveled out and just stayed there. So I've now added a third adapter in the bedroom to replace the wireless-n there, easier and more reliable than wireless. That one is working very well, also, so I'm happy with these.

I've not been inspired enough yet to check the bandwidth by connecting a laptop to both remote adapters at the same time, and transferring 2 large files concurrently...the review leads me to believe that I should get a larger total transfer rate than just 85Mb/s, but I haven't had time to set it up.

So, no problems here, no configuration has been necessary, just plug-and-play. On the other hand, I live in a single-family home (not an apartment house), so I'm not too concerned with security (haven't set it up yet), and no satellite TV, so no problems there. It just seems to work. Security could be a concern, I'm not sure how much goes back up through the line, or if anyone cares *smile*, but it sure is nice to leverage all that coax in the walls. It isn't super-fast, but my broadband internet isn't that fast, either, and the two systems that I care about the transfer speed between both have Gb. network interfaces and are on Gb. router ports. So the transfer rate between those system is really good, about 25MB/s for an eSata backup, can't complain about that.

Is this kit being discontinued by Netgear? It seems many online stores have them sold out and deactivated (i.e. not to be restocked again).

I'm considering getting a kit to give it a try vs Powerline. My Powerline speeds are very unstable, going from 20Mbps to sometimes 50Mbps on a good day. I don't find that it's related to anything I plug in or turn on in the house... it just varies for some reason. I'm hoping MoCA will give more me consistent results.

I liked your review on using Motorola Ethernet adapter is not just accountable for offering energy to your program but it also performs a very part in the move of information.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!