What's new

Examples of a mini-ITX FreeNAS build?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

djangofan

New Around Here
Does anyone recommend doing a mini-ITX FreeNAS build? I don't care as much about eSATA/USB3 performance as much as I do LAN performance. The build I am considering is below but I am wondering what other people would recommend? Also, does anyone have any advice on this form factor? I hoping for a LAN throughput of at least 200-600 Mbps (rather than USB speeds of 3-30Mbps).

APEX MI-100BK $55 250W
Intel® Mini-ITX Desktop Board DH67CF 65W $120
http://ark.intel.com/products/50092/Intel-Desktop-Board-DH67CF
- Onboard VGA, 1 eSATA, 4 SATA, 1000GB/LAN, Audio, DVI out
Core i3-540 $99
4GB DDR-1333 Corsair XMS3 $46

Total price: $325

I did it - with an Intel mini-ITX, Atom CPU.

I spent some hours with FeeNAS and decided it was not what I wanted - I'm a techie but FreeNAS seemed to be designed for a full time DB or IT user and not someone (home user) who will fool with it at first but then wants it to become an appliance.

I don't recommend the Atom CPUs - too slow versus (what I have now), AMD E350 dual core - my current mini-ITX uses Gigabit motherboard. It is quite fast, running Win 7 and 1080 HD. File I/O is super low CPU loading.

I don't recommend the Atom CPUs - too slow versus (what I have now), AMD E350 dual core - my current mini-ITX uses Gigabit motherboard. It is quite fast, running Win 7 and 1080 HD. File I/O is super low CPU loading.
This really does depend on what you are doing with it, I'm running a D525 Atom and I have never seen it over 25% running NexentaStor, might be more with FreeNAS, but if you just using it as a NAS then an Atom should be fine.

yes--- the nice GUIs in QNAP/Synology and extra services, if used, do consume CPU power!
But having been down the Intel Atom road, then to AMD E350, I think the latter provides more headroom in CPU speed, and mine supports eSATA and USB3.

Does anyone recommend doing a mini-ITX FreeNAS build? I don't care as much about eSATA/USB3 performance as much as I do LAN performance. The build I am considering is below but I am wondering what other people would recommend? Also, does anyone have any advice on this form factor? I hoping for a LAN throughput of at least 200-600 Mbps (rather than USB speeds of 3-30Mbps).

APEX MI-100BK $55 250W
Intel® Mini-ITX Desktop Board DH67CF 65W $120
http://ark.intel.com/products/50092/Intel-Desktop-Board-DH67CF
- Onboard VGA, 1 eSATA, 4 SATA, 1000GB/LAN, Audio, DVI out
Core i3-540 $99
4GB DDR-1333 Corsair XMS3 $46

Total price: $325

I went with the AMD-E35M1-I Deluxe with 8Gb of RAM on FreeNAS. I don't get anywhere near the throughput you're looking for though - I'm getting somewhere around 80R 60W but then I haven't tweaked it. I liked the small form factor, passive cooling (although I opted to put very quiet fans in the box) and 5 SATA...

I went with the AMD-E35M1-I Deluxe with 8Gb of RAM on FreeNAS. I don't get anywhere near the throughput you're looking for though - I'm getting somewhere around 80R 60W but then I haven't tweaked it. I liked the small form factor, passive cooling (although I opted to put very quiet fans in the box) and 5 SATA...

I'm a big fan of the Supermicro D525 MB.

Though VIA has introduced a set of low powered quad core EP1A boards that look interesting: VIA Intros "World's First" Quad-Core Mini-ITX Boards

Sandy Bridge Mini-ITX boards have the advantage of being upgradable, but more expensive. It is probably worth it, given how storage demands are going.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!