What's new

Explicit oVPN routing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

showtime

New Around Here
Good day!

I am trying to set up an .ovpn profile on my RT-AX86U with last 3004.388.4 firmware by Merlin. In the .ovpn config there is an explicit routing to use VPN only for specific websites. The problem is that when I put this config in the VPN client of the router all the traffic goes through the VPN but not the specific websites defined in the config. Though when I try to use this config locally on Windows PC in the OpenVPN GUI all works fine - the routing is made only for the specific domains in the config. May be there is some issue in the .ovpn config or in the settings of the VPN client of the router? Will be glad for response.
Code:
client
route-nopull
route mywebsite.com
route 8.8.8.8
dev tun
proto udp
remote de-ber.prod.surfshark.com 1194
resolv-retry infinite
remote-random
nobind
tun-mtu 1500
mssfix 1450
ping 15
ping-restart 0
reneg-sec 0

remote-cert-tls server

auth-user-pass

#comp-lzo
verb 3
fast-io
cipher AES-256-CBC

auth SHA512
Screenshot_5.jpg

Putting the routes in the .ovpn file won't work because the client creates it's own routing rules. You might be able to get it to work if you go back to the normal config file (without those modified routing lines) and use VPN Director rules instead. You'll need to use the IP address of the websites rather than their names.

Putting the routes in the .ovpn file won't work because the client creates it's own routing rules. You might be able to get it to work if you go back to the normal config file (without those modified routing lines) and use VPN Director rules instead. You'll need to use the IP address of the websites rather than their names.

But the thing is that big websites like facebook, instagram, etc use pools of IP addresses and it's barely possible to add them all... May be there is some other way to make url-based split-tunneling?

But the thing is that big websites like facebook, instagram, etc use pools of IP addresses and it's barely possible to add them all... May be there is some other way to make url-based split-tunneling?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!