What's new

ExpressVPN on Pfsense

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lovan6

Occasional Visitor
I have been lurking on this forum for several years now. Currently, I am using an Asus RT AC87U with merlin firmware on Expressvpn for geolocation blocking on Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon prime. I have no problem with Asus Merlin firmware and been using since I started using ASUS routers several years ago.

Recently I decided to build a pfsensebox on a mini itx Asrock 3455B, SSD, 4 gigs of ram and Intel i340 T4 nic.

I install pfesense and started to configure Expressvpn. To make the story short, Expressvpn just provided me a link. their support team does not know anything about pfsense.

Pfsense is new to me and it has a steep learning curve. Well, I guess I am used how easy is for me to use Merlin firmware.

I tried pfsense forum and guys are really helpful. Does anybody on this forum can guide me and shed light?

I need anybody who had the experience with pfsense and expressvpn.

Thanks

I have been lurking on this forum for several years now. Currently, I am using an Asus RT AC87U with merlin firmware on Expressvpn for geolocation blocking on Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon prime. I have no problem with Asus Merlin firmware and been using since I started using ASUS routers several years ago.

Recently I decided to build a pfsensebox on a mini itx Asrock 3455B, SSD, 4 gigs of ram and Intel i340 T4 nic.

I install pfesense and started to configure Expressvpn. To make the story short, Expressvpn just provided me a link. their support team does not know anything about pfsense.

Pfsense is new to me and it has a steep learning curve. Well, I guess I am used how easy is for me to use Merlin firmware.

I tried pfsense forum and guys are really helpful. Does anybody on this forum can guide me and shed light?

I need anybody who had the experience with pfsense and expressvpn.

Thanks

I agree that Pfsense has a steep learning curve. Hopefully you will find what you are looking for. I had a similar experience trying to get Astrill VPN to run on Pfsense. I finally gave up and started using StrongVPN. The setup was straight forward and was better supported.

If you reach the end of your patience you might want to consider using another provider.

Last edited:
I was able to solve how to install expressvpn on my pfsense. I was browsing Youtube and make some few adjustments. its finally working now. BUT my biggest problem is DNS leaks on pfsense. If try to harden DNS, it will not browse and some websites are inaccessible like Amazon and so as Netflix and Hulu on my Roku streaming box. Netflix is really tough on catching unblocker.

I still prefer my old trusted Asus RT AC 87U. its been slicing Netflix 24/7 on OpenVPN no sweat. I also noticed Pfsense does not hold save settings and odd and weird results if rebooted frequently. Please don't get me wrong I just want not offend anybody and this is just base on my personal opinion.

My 2 thumbs up for Merlin!

I was able to solve how to install expressvpn on my pfsense. I was browsing Youtube and make some few adjustments. its finally working now. BUT my biggest problem is DNS leaks on pfsense. If try to harden DNS, it will not browse and some websites are inaccessible like Amazon and so as Netflix and Hulu on my Roku streaming box. Netflix is really tough on catching unblocker.

I still prefer my old trusted Asus RT AC 87U. its been slicing Netflix 24/7 on OpenVPN no sweat. I also noticed Pfsense does not hold save settings and odd and weird results if rebooted frequently. Please don't get me wrong I just want not offend anybody and this is just base on my personal opinion.

My 2 thumbs up for Merlin!
I really like the Firewall Alias feature of pfSense for creating LAN firewall rules to selective route streaming media traffic to specific VPN tunnels. With ASUSWRT, I have to write a script to do this.

For the DNS Leak issue, don't specify a DNS server in the System General Setup page. On the DNS Resolver page, specify the VPN interfaces as the Outgoing Network Interfaces.

upload_2017-11-27_9-47-36.png

I have no issues with my pfSense install saving settings. You should post this issue in the pfsense forum for help on this issue.

DNS resolver does not work on my pfsense and resulted to no connections. The only thing work is DNS forwarder. I found this link:

https://nettb.com/blog/2015/03/pfsense-dns-leak-when-connected-to-vpn-fix/

The problem I am encountering right now is how to unblock netflix on my rokus. They are all connected thru vpn and no dns leaks. Netflix is really good on catching DNS leaks and vpn. My Imac is connected to expressvpn but I can't access Amazon website or fast.com.

Do you have any idea? I would really appreciate your help.

Worst case is I am planning to use my Asus RT AC87u as a dedicated vpn device to plug my roku and apple tv streaming devices only and use wifi also. but I am not quite sure on how I am supposed to connect that on pfsense.

Pfsense use 192.168.1.0/24.

What really puzzles me is an off the shelf asus router can do geolocation blocking and pfsense can not. I have no exprerience using pfsense to begin with.

Last edited:
DNS resolver does not work on my pfsense and resulted to no connections. The only thing work is DNS forwarder. I found this link:

https://nettb.com/blog/2015/03/pfsense-dns-leak-when-connected-to-vpn-fix/

The problem I am encountering right now is how to unblock netflix on my rokus. They are all connected thru vpn and no dns leaks. Netflix is really good on catching DNS leaks and vpn. My Imac is connected to expressvpn but I can't access Amazon website or fast.com.

Do you have any idea? I would really appreciate your help.

My provider is able to circumvent the VPN blocks used by NF and Hulu!

DNS Resolver is the default DNS on new pfSense installs. I would try and get that working first. Start with these instructions
https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Unbound_DNS_Resolver. There are youtube videos and other sources via a web search. Ask for help in the pfSense forum if you have issues. If you want to use pfBlockerNG to block ads and other bad stuff, it requires DNS Resolver to serve the DNS resquests! pfBlockerNG is used for geo blocking!

Then, use the the DNS Resolver Log to identify domain names used by NF. Then, create a LAN FW rule to route this traffic to the WAN Interface.

The OpenVPN client on the pfSense may give you better performance if the CPU support AES-NI. Did you consider using the ASUS router as an Access Point and letting the pfSense do all other functions?

Helpful links
https://www.techhelpguides.com/2017/06/12/ultimate-pfsense-openvpn-guide/
https://www.infotechwerx.com/blog/Policy-Routing-Certain-Traffic-Through-OpenVPN-Client-Connection
http://supratim-sanyal.blogspot.com/2017/04/pfsense-pfblockerng-ultimate-list-of-ip.html

Last edited:
Xentrix you are truly god send to me. The link you provide helps me configure my pfsense to a noob guy like me.

Thank you