What's new

Factory reset and vpn client settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

temujin

Occasional Visitor
I have just changed my VPN provider and on my RT-AC86U did a factory reset both from GUI and by pressing reset button on the back of the router before entering any new credentials,but after a couple of hours the vpn client tab reverts to the old server address and port number plus the old username/password, but when i go to "whatismyipaddress" both in my browser and on the android set top box it shows i am still connected to the new Torguard server.This seems to suggest that the factory resets are not 100% working as the old VPN credentials are being remembered, is there another way of completely resetting the router and forcing it to forget the old credentials please?
Regards

I have just changed my VPN provider and on my RT-AC86U did a factory reset both from GUI and by pressing reset button on the back of the router before entering any new credentials,but after a couple of hours the vpn client tab reverts to the old server address and port number plus the old username/password, but when i go to "whatismyipaddress" both in my browser and on the android set top box it shows i am still connected to the new Torguard server.This seems to suggest that the factory resets are not 100% working as the old VPN credentials are being remembered, is there another way of completely resetting the router and forcing it to forget the old credentials please?
Regards
Something similar happened to me last week after a factory reset.
Jffs was not wiped during the reset.
Pretty much all vpn stuff is saved on the jffs folder.
I recommend you format JFFS then set up again.

There's a new checkbox on the Backup/Restore/Reset Settings page now. Checking it will ensure that the JFFS system files will be erased at the same time as the nvram gets wiped. That option only works through the webui AFAIK, the reset button probably won't touch the JFFS partition.

There's a new checkbox on the Backup/Restore/Reset Settings page now. Checking it will ensure that the JFFS system files will be erased at the same time as the nvram gets wiped. That option only works through the webui AFAIK, the reset button probably won't touch the JFFS partition.
I did put a tick into the yellow box marked "Initialize all the settings, and clear all the data log for AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer, and Web History" when factory resetting from the webui and the reset button but i was still getting the same problem,so last night i did as faria above suggested and formatted the JFFS folder and rebooted,and so far today all the new credentials are still showing as they should be, hopefully this suggestion has sorted my problem,thanks everyone.
Regards
Edit 1: credentials not saved and the problem still persists although it took a little longer for the problem to return, can i use the Asus recovery tool to wipe everything clean and fresh and then flash Asus firmware followed by Asuswrt-Merlin?

Edit 2. I noticed that when logging into the router using Firefox browser all credentials are showing correctly, logging back in via chrome browser shows the wrong credentials, so it seems for some unknown reason the chrome browser is the cause of my problems and so i will be uninstalling it and installing Waterfox browser.

Last edited:
Edit 2. I noticed that when logging into the router using Firefox browser all credentials are showing correctly, logging back in via chrome browser shows the wrong credentials, so it seems for some unknown reason the chrome browser is the cause of my problems and so i will be uninstalling it and installing Waterfox browser.
Sounds like a reset of your Chrome's browser history might do the trick.

Sounds like a reset of your Chrome's browser history might do the trick.
I have had enough of Google products with all the surveillance, so will be swerving the chrome browser and using Waterfox which i can personalise unlike the latest Firefox versions.
Regards