What's new

Failed reboots

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

goncalossilva

Occasional Visitor
I've been having trouble rebooting my RT-AC68U running 378.50 unless I manually toggle the power button.

Most of the times, when I reboot the router (via the Reboot option in the web interface or my weekly reboot cron job), it appears to come back normally but then clients can't connect on either 2.4GHz and 5GHz. I also tried connecting via ethernet when in this state but the computer doesn't get an IP address. If I cycle it using the button, it starts working properly.

This problem isn't new -- I had it at least on 376.49 and 376.48, if not earlier versions. I have cleaned nvram a few times now but to no avail. I can't find anything on dmesg or syslog which might indicate what the issue is.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Have you reset to factory defaults and minimally and manually enter any required setup information to secure your router and connect it to the ISP?

If you restored your settings from a backup file, you effectively did not reset the router.

Yes, I have reset the factory defaults to no avail. My ISP doesn't require any special configuration, fortunately.

I have never restored settings from a backup file: I always go in and set them again.

I should mention that besides what I described above, the router sometimes comes back up after a reboot and no lights are on except for the power and the internet light. I'm really unsure what's going on, and the logs don't have anything... are there any other logs besides syslog and dmesg that I can check?

You might want to try flashing the firmware you're using again and then do a reset to defaults once more. It may help.

Otherwise, it seems to be failing hardware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!