What's new

Fast, stable wireless on 2.4GHz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gru

New Around Here
Hey guys, can anyone advise a good router for me?

Right now, I have a 110mbps cable connection, with a Cisco HGW (EPC3925). The LAN speed is really good, but the wireless part is kinda crappy and unstable. So I want to buy a separate router with a fast LAN and a fast+stable wireless connection. The wireless has to be 2.4GHz, but if it's dual band, that would be the best (because I want this router for long-term). The wireless has to go through 2-3 walls (YTONG bricks). I live on the 3rd floor, and it would be good if i could get wireless internet access (of course, it doesn't need to be fast there) in the garden also, but that's not important.

I read about the Linksys E4200, it's seems pretty good, but I don't know a lot about the wireless part. Some people sad it's pretty good, but sometimes people had problems with it, so I'm confused.

Any Thoughts or Suggestions? As I mentioned before, I want to buy this router for long-term.

Sorry for my bad English. Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thomas

Last edited:
Some questions for Gru

Gru,

What are the distances involved between your wireless router location and your clients? How many floors are you trying to cover? What is the approximate square footage of coverage that you need on each floor?

I replaced an E4200 with a Ubiquiti PowerAP-N due to the E4200's lack of range and reliability when trying to penetrate a number of walls and floors in my 8,000+ square foot house and 31,000 square foot land area with several outbuildings on it. The PowerAP-N has been extremely reliable, too.

The Ubiquiti router is a little harder to set up than the E4200 and does not have some fancy features (like supporting a separate SSID and limited access for a guest network).

Actually, it's not a huge distance. In the flat (only 1 floor), it's around 24feet between the device and the hgw, and if I'm in the garden, it's around 49feet (in a straight line). Right now, I get only 2 or 3 bars in the room where I'm using it, and a slow, bad connection (the home gateway has also a really unstable router firmware), so this is why I want to replace it.

Actually, it's not a huge distance. In the flat (only 1 floor), it's around 24feet between the device and the hgw, and if I'm in the garden, it's around 49feet (in a straight line). Right now, I get only 2 or 3 bars in the room where I'm using it, and a slow, bad connection (the home gateway has also a really unstable router firmware), so this is why I want to replace it.

Most any 2.4 GHz wireless router (including the Cisco E4200) should be able to handle those distances, depending on the number of walls and floors involved and the type of construction material in those walls and floors.

As I write this, my Ubiguiti PowerAP-N router is giving me a steady 4.9Mbps down throughput/600Kbps up throughput (the limit of my DSL connection, basically). The PowerAP-N is physically located 200 feet away from my Mac Airbook and the completely stable wireless signal is traveling through 2 house exterior wood walls and 2 interior plaster walls in my house and an outbuilding.

The E4200 that I had worked up to about 125 feet distance under the same wall conditions (with much less signal stability and somewhat reduced throughput speeds).