What's new

Favorite: Asus-520gu

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Danny

New Around Here
The ASUS WL-520GU is a four-port 802.11g router.
  • One USB port
  • 16MB of RAM and 4MB of flash RAM.
  • 5db detachable antenna, R-SMA connector, 6" long
I bought this router because I wanted to experiment with DD-WRT and other open-sourced firmware. I'm very satisfied. I'm using the WL-520GU primarily as an access point in my bedroom, which has no ethernet jack. I've also used it as a router and as a printer server, all with good results.

I had planned on purchasing a wireless bridge prior to buying this router. After installing DD-WRT I realized I didn't need to because it can be configured to do just that. Using it for an access point (wireless bridge, actually) is helpful, because I own several computers. I don't fool with wireless adapters for each computer—just plug 'em into a router port. The ASUS handles the secure connection to the main router. I set up the WPA password just once, for the bridge. The wireless bridge does not create a subnet in my situation. The main router, a D-Link, provides DHCP service to all computers in the local network.

A wireless bridge is great to have when you're messing with a device that requires a wired network connection. Also, when testing a Linux distro and you don't have time to figure out how to enable a particular wireless adapter. Finally, I can leave my bridge powered-on and my computer powered-off. I then utilize WOL to wake my computer. As far as I know, you cannot do that with any type of PC-installed wireless adapter. (And, yes, I learned how to do WOL from smallnetbuilder.com!)

When I first got my WL-520GU, only DD-WRT and Oleg's firmware (a mod of ASUS's firmware) were recommended firmwares. Since then, polarcloud.com released a version of Tomato firmware approved for the WL-520GU. I am currently using Tomato. I've used all three mentioned, plus the stock firmware. All have their strengths; the stock firmware is the least-capable.

I also own a couple of D-Link DI-524s, both of which are still working fine. One of the D-Links is a backup spare for the other. I also bought a 5db antenna to upgrade the puny 2db one the router came with. The DI-524 connects to a Speedstream modem connected to a 1.5 MB/s DSL line from AT&T. I don't do massive downloads or bit torrents, so the router isn't under a lot of stress.

If you want to buy a WL-520GU—and you're not in a hurry—watch newegg.com for rebates and/or one of their seemingly periodic discounts on this model. I've seen it for as little as $30 after rebate with free shipping. I bought mine from buy.com for $55.

I have one too and the wireless performance and stability is excellent. Great price, performance and feature set as well as firmware support plus USB and detachable RP-SMA antenna. It is also very small and pleasant to look at.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation.
Some questions:
- How often do you have to reboot it or power cycle it? Can you leave it on and running for months at a time without any problems at all?
- Are some of the downloadable firmwares less reliable than others, requiring reboots more frequently?

Can I do LAN also in this Router

Hi,
I have a small office network.
I have 3 PC's 2 windows and 1 linux.
I want to share my USB laser printer with all these machines. I found this router is capable of doing this.

I have a Intranet web application that is installed on one of the windows pc.
Currently I use a wired connection so by LAN I am able to connect to the local intranet site from both the other PC's(Win and linux) by giving the url as the windows machine IP address.
I have a shared a folder in the PC where I have installed my web application and I am able to get access to these files from my other windows PC in the LAN.

My question is, If I use this router
  1. will I be able to share my Internet connection between the 3 pc's
  2. at the same time share the intranet site/shared folders/printer between them.

to put it simply will I be be able to create a LAN and also share the internet between these machines.

IS this still a sticky item?

ASUS WL-520GU - this was a great product 3/4 years ago...

sfx