What's new

Find vlan ID of guest network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

al_n

New Around Here
Hello,

I have an RT-AC68u with latest Merlin firmware (380.61).
I'm using the guest network to give internet access without browsing local network.

I'm extending my network with a Dell AP-134 which is configured to serve two SSID's, one unrestricted and the other which I would like to use also for guests.
The AP-134 is capable of tagging the SSID vlan. I assume that the guest network on the asus is tagged, right?!

If so, how can I find the correct vlan ID of the guest network so I can tag my guest network on the AP-134 with the same vlan ID?

Thank you

On Asuswrt I think the VLAN tagging is for Ethernet ports only. However, apparently some high-end routers (Cisco) use 802.1q VLAN tagging on their Wifi interfaces too.

hmm, ok.

Is there any workaround? Can I tag this vlan and somehow add it to the guest network?

On Asuswrt I think the VLAN tagging is for Ethernet ports only. However, apparently some high-end routers (Cisco) use 802.1q VLAN tagging on their Wifi interfaces too.

OpenWRT supports VLAN tagging and binding to specific SSID's...

Might also consider another router - EdgeRouter-X and Lite do, as does MicroTik and of course, pfSense.

Asuswrt firmware uses the Broadcom "et" program to configure the VLANs. And there is the "robocfg" program that probably more people are familiar with because it's way easier to use.

However, these programs do not support the Wifi interfaces (eth1, eth2) and the Wifi Guest interfaces (wl0.1, wl0.2, wl0.3, wl1.1, wl1.2, wl1.3).

Is it possible to use the "wl" program for VLAN tagging on the Wifi interfaces and the Wifi Guest interfaces?

Robocfg is showing me some weird VLAN IDs, like 0499, 1406, 1106. Not sure where those strange VLAN IDs are coming from.
Code:
/usr/sbin/robocfg showmacs

I looked at "wl", its list of command is overwhelming :(
What's this? Not supported by the wireless drivers?
Code:
tclas_add
        add tclas frame classifier type entry
        Usage: wl tclas_add <user priority> <type> <mask> <...>
        type 0 eth2:     <src mac> <dst mac> <ether type>
        type 1/4 ipv4:   <ver> <src> <dst> <s_port> <d_port> <dscp> <prot>
        type 2 802.1Q:   <vlan tag>
        type 3 filter:   <offset> <value> <mask>
        type 4 ipv6:     <ver> <src> <dst> <s_port> <d_port> <dscp> <nxt_hdr> <flw_lbl>
        type 5 802.1D/Q: <802.1Q PCP> <802.1Q CFI> <802.1Q VID>

tclas_del
        delete tclas frame classifier type entry
        Usage: wl tclas_del [<idx> [<len>]]

tclas_list
        list the added tclas frame classifier type entry
        Usage: wl tclas_list