What's new

Firmware name/type of Linksys smart WIFI router EA 6-9 series

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ulaganath

Very Senior Member
Hi Guys.

I am wondering what kind of firmware linksys smar wifi is based out of. It might have limited features. but just wondering is that firmware is cross flashable to other brands. Except the smart wifi account feature.

i liked the flash based firmware but not sure if netgear r7000 can be flashed with that.

Also i knew tomato firmware and used it . Also DD-wrt also used with my e2000 series. But not sure on Openwrt. Is this what netgear firmware is based on. What stock firmware netgear router's are running

I also used merlin Asus based firmwware called xvortex and it works well with r7000.

but wondering if a port for r7000 based on linksys firmware.

I am wondering what kind of firmware linksys smar wifi is based out of. It might have limited features. but just wondering is that firmware is cross flashable to other brands. Except the smart wifi account feature.

It's their own build - they're not based on any 3rd party releases, all in-house stuff that has evolved over the years from the original WRT54G linux...

Definitely would not recommend trying to flash their firmware onto anything from other vendors - as you might end up with a bricked device at the end of the day, and not be able to recover...

I know. but there should be some name for that. Like asus based routers have. Some one already tried doing port for that.

I know. but there should be some name for that. Like asus based routers have. Some one already tried doing port for that.

Unlike Asus, Linksys hasn't released a "buildable" GPL drop in years... they're compliant with GPL, but their proprietary code is usually held back...

I recall the WRT1900ac V1 initial drop - lots of stuff, but missing enough stuff that it could not be built..

the R7000 has excellent support for DDWRT, and Netgear is implicitly supporting it - that's the release I would recommend going with due to Netgear supporting it on the back end..

There comes the drawback of not stuffing many things to it. If released developer's would have bought all the required stuff's

One of ea8500 MU MIMO router user con's below explains all.

Cons:
- The unit seems to be less reliable than the BUFFALO unit which never failed once on me. Within 2 days of owning the EA8500, I lost all wireless connectivity on both bands and had to reboot the router. I believe this may be related to overheating, as I put my router in a wiring closet with some other PCs and AV equipment. The BUFFALO unit had no problem with this at all, but the Linksys seemed to get very hot. I've now moved it to on top of the wiring cabinet which is not as aesthetically desirable for me, but I'm hopeful better ventilation will cure the problem. This overheating may be related to the form factor being horizontal compared to BUFFALO's vertical orientation.
- The unit doesn't particularly feel high quality. It is far from cheap, but compared to the WXR-1900DHP which is a Japanese work of art, it just feels average which is a bit disappointing given the price. Fortunately, you don't really handle routers so not a big deal, just an observation. However, due to the overheating, I now have this Darth Vader router in plain site. The slimmer and more aesthetically pleasing BUFFALO unit would've looked better.
- This router is really lacking features for a flagship model. Other than the VLAN tagging feature, this router has several feature shortcomings which I'll document on the following lines.
- No VPN Server - PPTP, OpenVPN, you name it, none of them exist. I had to resort to using a Windows Server I have and RAS to get my VPN connectivity back. There is no excuse for this feature to be missing on any router over $79. This is probably my single largest gripe and honestly, if just this feature were fixed, I'd bump it up to 4-stars. It is laughable to not have this feature. It would be similar to buying a brand new Mercedes Benz and not getting powered windows.
- No ability to customize DNS servers issued by DHCP. There is a setting for them, but Linksys apparently still masks these requests behind the router's IP, so no matter what you do, your clients will receive the Router IP as their DNS server, this simply cannot be changed. However, it does appear to forward to DNS requests to your DNS servers which in my case is critical since I run my own internal DNS server for a work laboratory. Linksys claims this is to make their Cloud stuff work, but technically speaking, that makes no sense.
- No ability to change the domain suffix. It will use what it gets from the router and it cannot be changed. I have my own domain at home, and I like DHCP to issue my Domain Controller's suffix. This cannot be changed.
- Lack of advanced wireless settings. You cannot set 11n+11ac only for example, you're stuck supporting legacy 11a/b connections. There are very few settings to adjust.
- Lack of good diagnostic features. I would like to see the clients connected and some stats on them including SNR, rateset, etc., but there is no such visibility.
- Only supports 20 Port Forwarding rules. I know this seems like a lot, but I need closer to 25-30 due to many remotely accessible servers, Wi-Fi cameras, etc.
- You cannot access the UI from your smartphone's browser unless you put the browser into Desktop mode. Instead, Linksys wants you to download their app which seems to just be a web front-end anyways. I try not to install unnecessary apps, and the Linksys app seems to do nothing more than give you an optimized WebUI, so I'd prefer just having a mobile WebUI.

He was using Buffalo and comparing.

Linksys has been pretty clear that in the post Jun 2016 world, only the WRT line will be supportable by third parties...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!