Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Flashing question

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by SpEnTBoY, Dec 24, 2012.

1. SpEnTBoY

SpEnTBoY New Around Here

Hey guys, just curious what version you can come from of official to go to Merlin's code. I currently have stock 3.0.0.4.260 installed on my RT-AC66U and tried to flash RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_264.22 and got an error from the device. I was able to reboot without anything bricking but I'd love to get this code on my router :D

Do I have to upgrade incrementally from say 260.21? Or should I try to re-download again and try flashing to 264.22 from 260 stock? Any help is greatly appreciated!

**EDIT** Here is that actual error I'm getting ... I tried a few times just in case including rebooting the device :) "Firmware upgrade fail. It may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again"

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  2. Pierino

Pierino Very Senior Member

Are you positively sure you didn't download the fw for rt-n66u or rt-n16 by mistake?

3. SpEnTBoY

SpEnTBoY New Around Here

The actual file I grabbed is RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_264.22.zip

-rw-r--r-- 1 spent staff 24949853 24 Dec 08:40 RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_264.22.zip

tried re-downloading it as well ... same error :confused:

OMG hold on .... maybe unzip the archive? close this thread before I embarrass myself more :p ... sorry I'm so used to flashing eveything from zip to img to specific dd to memory locations I assumed I just flashed the zip

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  4. TonyH

TonyH Very Senior Member

Hu,
    Dumb question but you unzipped the file and used .trx the f/w file to update, right? I never have any trouble switching back and forth between dffreent f/w versions. ASUS, ASUSWRT or Tomato or whatever.

5. SpEnTBoY

SpEnTBoY New Around Here

see last post lol ... some days I tell ya ... thanks for the replies guys!